Picked up this lovely bargain Marin boinger - minor build thread

Tricky1977

Marin Fan
Feedback
View
Managed to snap up this bag of bits from eBay for £50 no bids:
IMG_2019.jpeg

Slapped some old wheels on (shame about the rear tyre), and some donated (free) RS Judy forks and it just about works (stopping is more tricky) and there’s no headset (so no wheelies!). Pic below

It Rides and bounces lovely with the Fox rear.
The frame is in great condition as are the bars and stem (they look new) even the XT rear amd LX combo shifts great. Super happy with what could have been a rusty, scratched mess.

I already have a 2000MY Rock Springs but can never find any info on the model differences in the post 2000 suspension models, can any one enlighten me?
Were the frames the same?

Thanks.
IMG_2018.jpeg

Turns out the Ovation parts are a bit rubbish… the QR skewers had seized solid and the brake levers have badly faded. And yet I’ve got much older Shimano bits which work like new…. Hmm

I’ve done a tiny amount of work on the East Peak and it now runs well.
Brakes adjusted, chain lubed, tyres pumped, cleaned up the faded levers and fitted a new unbranded (trek/klein/GF) stem fitted which is identical to the Marin one on my Wolf Ridge. So must be a generic OEM supplier.
Oh and some lovely DMR death grips, not sure they suit it? IMG_2120.jpeg

Last edited:
New tyres next I’m thinking and replace the cracked Alivio shifters with some others from the parts bin.
Edit: although they work flawlessly

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back