ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Apologies for another BB Post.

I'm looking for a high quality BB for my new build, and want the best price compromise. In theory I could just spunk £180 on a Royce, but I can't justify that.

I was wondering, how do Phil Wood Bottom Brackets with a Square taper compare to say Shimano UN90 or Royce or Hope?
And how about SKF? Heard of these but don't know anyone who has used one
And how are these in general?
And weight wise?

I was looking at a Phil Wood stainless BB.

weight specs are on the website, they're not that impressive but they are built to last

royce vs wood (assuming a Ti wood) is a preference thing only imo, there's nowt between them

Never had a Phil, but would bet my trousers they're quality and last well. For my sins, I always try and save weight at the BB and favour light with sealed bearings, especially TA Axix. Both the steel and ti versions are light, and they look and feel like they were made by angels. They've gone up in price and are hard to get hold of these days though.

cce":fuj7us8k said:
weight specs are on the website, they're not that impressive but they are built to last

royce vs wood (assuming a Ti wood) is a preference thing only imo, there's nowt between them

:) That's what I wanted to know!

A Stainless Wood - is it a considerable downgrade from the Ti? As the SS is cheaper!

Weight wise, they seem fine!

I reckon a Phil Wood for me..but any other bit of info anyone? Experience etc?

doctor-bond":3lm21pm2 said:
Never had a Phil, but would bet my trousers they're quality and last well. For my sins, I always try and save weight at the BB and favour light with sealed bearings, especially TA Axix. Both the steel and ti versions are light, and they look and feel like they were made by angels. They've gone up in price and are hard to get hold of these days though.

mmmm TA Axix food for thought.
These have some;

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?mode=search

Expensive!! :)

I had a Phil Wood bottom bracket on my first road bike, it lasted over 30 years. Actually I replaced it when I converted the bike to a single speed and not because it was worn out.

A finl question is, how would the phil wood compare to a Xtr m900 UN90 ?

I could get either for around same price so need some tips

ibbz":3f67gj37 said:
A Stainless Wood - is it a considerable downgrade from the Ti? As the SS is cheaper!
No, the quality is the same. just the ,material cost is greater for ti.
And a little extra on top for those that must have ti.
I have an SKF bottom bracket on my SS. Quality is top notch,, but it's only been on there about 18months so it's way too early to comment on longevity

suburbanreuben":3snx26ep said:
ibbz":3snx26ep said:
A finl question is, how would the phil wood compare to a Xtr m900 UN90 ?

I could get either for around same price so need some tips

Go Phil!

:) will do!! Thanks man

Back