Peugeot Discoverer?

AndyRM

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Anybody heard of these/know anything about them?

I'm a fan of old Peugeots and found this on my local GumTree. Seller reckons it's from the 80s and South African, which may explain why I can't find out much about it.

I quite like the look of it, particularly the internal cable routing on the top tube, and colour.

Any info appreciated!

Unless they ride differently in SA, please ignore the backwards fork...

Attachments

• Picture-1.jpg
    Picture-1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,504
the forks are on backwards stating the obvious. i know very little about peugeot, other than they did lots of bikes, and from adverts in early 90's mags they did some very very nice high specced race bikes. This is not one of them

this looks to be very low range , worth a £5 perhaps IMO

Fully agree that it's a low range model, I was more wondering if it was a re-named version of one of their more well known MTBs.

Initially I thought it might have been some kind of promo bike to tie in with Land Rover, but I'm guessing not.

It looks it little like a Alu series 500 trekkingbike frame from 1995. However the frame looks like it was made of steel. Its not in one of my dutch catalogues from 1992, 1993 or 1995. What is the name on the toptube?

Alexander79":zl5k8xa4 said:
It looks it little like a Alu series 500 trekkingbike frame from 1995. However the frame looks like it was made of steel. Its not in one of my dutch catalogues from 1992, 1993 or 1995. What is the name on the toptube?

The name is 'Discoverer' (I think). I'll know a bit more about it when I pick it up tomorrow.

Seller also claims it has been wrapped and stored in original condition so I'm interested to see what's on it. Probably nothing special but it does seem a bit unusual.

When you look at it, then look under the bottembracket on the underside of the frame. There should be a sticker with a VTT number and code.

Its just junk - BMX style BB, pressed steel mechs, why are you wasting time on it? £59.99 from any good supermarket.

In the S Hemisphere bathwater spins in the opposite direction when it goes down the plug hole- apparantley- therefore S African bikes have to have back to front forks. I expect Australian ones do too...

It looks quite old, judging by the lettering on the down tube, as my 1990/1 Peugeot has an italicised serif-less lettering, this though reminds me of the letters you'd see on earlier Pugs, like PX10 road bikes. What head tube badge does it have? Until about 1993/4 their bikes had an outline lion rampant- like on the 205 and 405 cars, then when their cars switched to a softer [And pretty cheap looking] all silver lion the bikes did too. As it's a quill stem I expect it's earlier than this.

Although the Peugeot family farmed out the bicycle rights to Cycleeruope in the nineteen nineties they might have had specific models for African markets to capitalize on their reputation, as Peugeot cars had a strong presence there. For years the 504 estate car was the weapon of choice in sub-saharan Africa, long after they disappeared in Europe.

You are all daft! SIS mechs and these awful 5spd thumbshifters and pressed steel sidepull brakes!

And that front mech makes it mid 90's...

99241571-450x450-0-0_Shimano+SHIMANO+SIS+TY+15+3+5+SP+BIKE+SHIFTER+SET+.jpg

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back