Pets

Peggy's has a flashing light and makes a noise, but I have to work out today's secret combination before she decides if she's ready to come back. Sometimes she'll appear as I open the app... Sometimes I might need to wait a minute or 20...

Pleased he turned up, I’d be in knots worrying. We’ve not left a tom intact long enough to know their behaviour. Ours has never forgiven us for taking his pride and joy off him almost 16 years ago! He did bugger off for a day or two when we moved house but came back as if nothing happened. Have definitely known cats get locked in a shed or garage when their curiosity has got the better of them. Someone tried to put a collar on ours once, he hurt them quite badly, wasn’t quite hospital but certainly small bandage not sticking plaster territory.

Pleased he turned up, I’d be in knots worrying. We’ve not left a tom intact long enough to know their behaviour. Ours has never forgiven us for taking his pride and joy off him almost 16 years ago! He did bugger off for a day or two when we moved house but came back as if nothing happened. Have definitely known cats get locked in a shed or garage when their curiosity has got the better of them. Someone tried to put a collar on ours once, he hurt them quite badly, wasn’t quite hospital but certainly small bandage not sticking plaster territory.
Thanks!
I just couldn't get myself to get him snipped. And people said he'll run off looking for women but I said it's a risk I'm willing to take.
16 years! my mother in law's cat in Peru is 15 - spends most of her time asleep.
I'm going to try the collar today! I hope he doesn't go nuts!

Thanks!
I just couldn't get myself to get him snipped. And people said he'll run off looking for women but I said it's a risk I'm willing to take.
16 years! my mother in law's cat in Peru is 15 - spends most of her time asleep.
I'm going to try the collar today! I hope he doesn't go nuts!
I like the idea of having a tom cat and leaving him to get on with his tom cat business!
Ours was spending most of his time asleep too until he had a load of teeth removed recently. It appears he may have been in chronic pain as he’s like a new cat now. I had put it down to old age but he’s got a spring back in his step again. Also found out the hard way that the insurance we paid for his whole life and have never claimed on doesn’t cover anything related to his teeth/gums! £1k lighter in the pocket but we’d pay it again.

I like the idea of having a tom cat and leaving him to get on with his tom cat business!
Ours was spending most of his time asleep too until he had a load of teeth removed recently. It appears he may have been in chronic pain as he’s like a new cat now. I had put it down to old age but he’s got a spring back in his step again. Also found out the hard way that the insurance we paid for his whole life and have never claimed on doesn’t cover anything related to his teeth/gums! £1k lighter in the pocket but we’d pay it again.
I purposely didn’t cut his balls
People were saying he’ll spray inside but he hasn’t ever done so - neither have I seen him do it in the garden - only when I followed him before he was lost did I notice him spraying trees in the woods - marking his territory near where the female may have been.

Which pet insurance ? I got the sainsbury one and haven’t used it

My son put the collar on him and he didn’t even notice - it’s quite loose and discreet. The AirTag is on it but it’s not very good for pets as a human with an iPhone has to pass close to him for my phone to detect it when he’s out.
Out of the trackers the small discreet Vodafone one looks the most suitable for a cat. The others are quite large
Here he is asleep with the collar IMG_2003.jpeg

Aw he's a beaut :) 2 of ours (neutered when they came to us) kinda go "through the motions" of spraying, i.e. they back up to stuff and shake their tail but nothing gets sprayed... Only time one of them started marking our stuff was when other un-neutered males were coming by and marking first. Mostly they just scent-mark by rubbing their necks or scratching furniture.

I purposely didn’t cut his balls
People were saying he’ll spray inside but he hasn’t ever done so - neither have I seen him do it in the garden - only when I followed him before he was lost did I notice him spraying trees in the woods - marking his territory near where the female may have been.

Which pet insurance ? I got the sainsbury one and haven’t used it

My son put the collar on him and he didn’t even notice - it’s quite loose and discreet. The AirTag is on it but it’s not very good for pets as a human with an iPhone has to pass close to him for my phone to detect it when he’s out.
Out of the trackers the small discreet Vodafone one looks the most suitable for a cat. The others are quite large
Here he is asleep with the collar View attachment 823336
He’s a handsome chap. Think it will be fascinating to see the extent of his roaming with the tracker on. I remember a documentary about cats and their territory/behaviour. Some go a lot further than people realise, there’s a hierarchy of male/female intact/speyed and age related. Your guy probably swinging his balls towards the top end of that!

Cat insurance was with animal friends, vet said it’s very uncommon for insurers to cover dental stuff in pets. It can be done but is expensive.

I’d also always been told tom cats spray, ours isn’t a Tom and sprays many select locations outside. Never known him spray indoors. There was that one time he shat on the rug xmas eve though. I discovered it in the dark, the hard way, xmas morning before the family came down.

IMG_9268.jpeg

Aw he's a beaut :) 2 of ours (neutered when they came to us) kinda go "through the motions" of spraying, i.e. they back up to stuff and shake their tail but nothing gets sprayed... Only time one of them started marking our stuff was when other un-neutered males were coming by and marking first. Mostly they just scent-mark by rubbing their necks or scratching furniture.
he’s a handsome Tom. He does go around running his cheek scent onto everything including our cheeks!!
It was the first time I saw him mark a tree the day we followed him - lifted his arse up shook it with his nuts swinging (they’re big pair 🤣) then walked on - to mark another
I was reading this interesting academic paper on behaviour of Toms and they it mentioned that they mark around the area where the female in season is to ward off or warn other males - and then as I read here it confirmed that they court the female then guard her !

Latest posts

Back