Peracinni Fixed

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange šŸŠ Fan
Feedback
View
I've just picked up this Peracinni fixed gear bike šŸ˜€

Columbus Aelle tubing, Cinelli Bar + stem, Modolo Speedy brake, Normandy hubs on tubular rims.
Rear wheel is fixed/fixed and 120mm OLN.
Bike weighs a respectable 18lbs given theres really not much to it šŸ˜„

It belonged to the sellers father, who sadly now has severe dementia, but apparently in his day was a keen club rider, she knew nothing about the bike, but am I right in guessing it's probably 1980's? I've no idea what he used it for, TT's or just hardcore winter riding in North East Scotland??

I've googled "Peracinni" and found it was the brand name of bikes from a shop in Bognor, probably built there I guess, I've added an interesting link to their history below.

A couple of things need attention, the lever hood has disintegrated with age, and the tubs have likewise perished.
Now I'm not a fan of tubs for everyday riding, or at all to be honest! So I'm not overly keen on buying new tubs and the faff of glueing them on. Which could be a problem.... I may rebuild with clincher rims, or use some more modern wheels altogether, I've not decided yet.

https://www.maestro-uk.com/about

20210403_171842.jpg

Attachments

• 20210403_170313.jpg
    20210403_170313.jpg
    575.6 KB · Views: 15
That looks like a pretty steep head tube, but might just be the angle of the photo.

Tubs are fine if you pick the right ones. Don't get racing tubs, as they'll be fragile. Stick with the cheaper tubs like Continental Giro and they tend to be far more resilient to punctures and general road abuse. You can generally fix a puncture with a can of Pit Stop, or pre-fill them with sealant. Much easier to swallow when you have to replace one too. I'll also put a positive word in for tub tape. It couldn't be easier to fit and some of mine have been taped for years now, left inflated, deflated, and abused in all weather with no problems.

Yes I think thereā€™s an odd optical illusion going on there!
Iā€™ve read the full 30+ pages of the ā€œTubular beginners reportā€ thread on here and opted for Conti Giroā€™s and Jantex tape, with a cheap Victoria Rally in black from Decathlon as an emergency spare. Iā€™ll probably put some tubeless sealant into the Giros as well. Iā€™m in no rush to get this rideable so I can take some time to stretch the tubs before fitting.
I did consider fitting modern components, but quite like the retro silver & black so I guess Iā€™ll see how good that Modolo Speedy front brake really is!
Apart from new tubs, Iā€™ll just replace the saddle, and perhaps the chain, oh and new bar tape too.

Latest posts

Back