Pendle Witches 2014

daccordimark

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Nearly time for the wonderful PWVV again. No snow lingering around this year but it could still be a bit cold. Are the usual suspects riding again? Kerplunk's lovely Peugeot, Goldie's blingy Viscount for instance, anyone else from the RetroBike "family" I've forgotten?
Rather predictably I'm rolling out the Daccordi and also rather predictably I've put lower gears on again. It seems with every year I get older I have to stick another couple of teeth on the largest sprocket!

Hope to see as many of you there as possible,
Mark.

I expect to be there but only on this parts-bin/restomodded pink Harry Hall. Last time I did this ride was in 2011 - coincidentally also on pink... :oops:

Attachments

• Pendle 2011.jpg
    Pendle 2011.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 590
  • Harry Hall.jpg
    Harry Hall.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 590
Ooof... gusting headwinds made for a tortuous 4,400' of climbing! On the upside, I won a case of beer in the pub raffle...

Attachments

• Brassneck.jpg
    Brassneck.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 538
  • Chick.jpg
    Chick.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 538
  • Starter.jpg
    Starter.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 538
Re:

Had to pull out this year. Been really busy with work so just haven't been able to get out on the bike enough and didn't think disappearing off for the day would have been the thing to do given the amount of extra hours I've spent in the office. Shame really as this winter would've been good for training and weather didn't seem as bad yesterday as the last couple of years. Hope everyone got round safely. Fully intend to be there next year.

Re:

Sorry Mark, I've managed to miss this thread through being a bit rubbish. In my defence, the time I should have been spending on RB was spent ineffectually worrying about the 42-25 combination I was "planning" to use to get up the hills. But I turned up, did it and if you're in the mood for a big, poor quality photo binge I would be happy to oblige.

While I'm uploading the photos, did anyone else distinctly hear someone say there was going to be a twenty mph headwind on the way up, but not to worry because that'd be a tailwind on the way back down? And if so did you find yourself weeping and swearing at the massive gusts of Old Testament wrathful God style headwinds that were trying to blow everyone off the hill into Haslingden?

I will never, ever believe a weather forecast of any kind again. :cry:

It was a brilliant event, full of proper highs (the cakes! the descents! the free pie and peas! the cowbells!) and lows (which were, ironically, usually the climbs...). The one thing I'd change is for one of the two photo points to be at the bottom of a descent so I am not visibly crying onto my handlebar tape...

Re:

Ok, here we go:

Mark, I think that beauty's yours...

Westfield pace car getting ready for the off.

Viscount, Dawes and Hetchins, half way round.

Apologies about the naff photos. Those who were there will know that these do not begin to do the scenery - or probably the bikes - justice. Put it in your diary for next year...

Me and Harry on the Nick - only those who were there can testify to the stiffening breeze... ;-)

Attachments

• Nick O'Pendle, Pendle 2014.jpg
    Nick O'Pendle, Pendle 2014.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 478
Re:

Among my friends, family and colleagues it is a well known fact that I have the memory of a goldfish. Sometimes this is quite useful as in "what do you mean we're going shopping? Don't you know it's Paris-Roubaix today?". Other times it is my downfall as in Easter Sunday 2014 and the PWVV.

You see I had forgotten just how hard those "mere" 53 miles around the scenic delights of Lancashire are. That led me to think it would be a good idea to ride to Rawtenstall instead of faffing with the car. After all what's an extra 27 miles between me and the trusty two-wheeled friend I call Dac. So it was I set off at 6:15 up the two and half mile climb out of the village heading north into a brisk wind that was merely a portent of what was to come. The new 26 sprocket was soon in play with 38 up front. This climbing lark gets harder with every passing year so kudos to anyone on a 42 inner ring (Goldie!). Turning west I eased off and let the wind push me over the border into Greater Manchester and on to Lancashire. Over the tops before the descent into Rawtenstall the wind was gusting wildly and my old fears re-surfaced as the bike was getting very twitchy on the descents. Arriving at the start in good time I had a look around the assembled machines and was impressed by the variety and quality of a lot of the vintage bikes. Goldie has got shots of all my favourites as it happens. The Dawes, Roberts and Hetchins trio were all top notch.

Into the pub it was time for sign on, hot tea and a chance to soak up the atmosphere. Outside, the announcer was giving us a blow by blow description of the route, road conditions and expected wind directions. Such gems as "if you spot what looks like a wall in front of you at Sabden, it isn't - that's the road" and my fave "there should be a good tailwind on the seven mile stretch past the wind farms as you head for home towards Haslingden". Oh how I laughed at his mistake as I grovelled my lonely way over those bleak moors several hours later - NOT!

But let's not dwell on the suffering. Before then we had the Nick O'Pendle climb with far reaching views to be admired as we made our leisurely way up the hill. It is a great hill, not too brutal, not too long but you know you've done it when you reach the top. Halfway up there were cowbells being rung with gusto by a young lad while his mum "encouraged" me by saying "I'd like to tell you you're almost there - but you're not"! I admired more scenery on the descent and was joined by a rider on a Brian Wilkins (I think - you see I've forgotten already - it might have been the beaten up Peugeot). Once over the long, long drag of Waddington Fell it was a great descent down to Newton and the fantastic rolling road to the halfway point at Dunsop Bridge. The girl in the onesie gave us a run down of what was available and made sure we knew her Grandma had done most if not all of the baking! The cake selection seems to get better every year but the banana cake was a real highlight for me. Time for a quick chat to compare notes so far - that climb, that descent, those winds, vibrating steel frames in the wind, the fear of puncturing tubs... As more riders arrived I re-filled my bottle, grabbed another piece of banana cake and headed off alone for the second half. Empty rolling roads following a river through countryside which alternated between natural woodlands and open fields offered a nice contrast to the windswept moors of the earlier climbs. I knew there was one more long climb in a few miles and I was in no hurry so I ambled along wondering where everyone else was. I knew there were a couple of fast men about half a mile in front of me who I had been with up until the Nick but couldn't see them anymore. No one was catching me up, was I still on course, when was the last time I'd seen a direction arrow, was that left turn back there the right way? Doubts crept in but there was no point getting the supplied map out as I couldn't read it without my glasses. Oh well I thought, it's a nice day this is a nice road who cares. I picked up the pace and a few miles later got to a junction with a PWVV signpost. After the junction I said out loud "phew we're on the right road after all" and was then promptly passed by another rider who asked me with a note of concern in his voice "alright mate?". He must have thought I was some senile old f**t talking to himself - oh err, I was. I grunted and let him and his carbon bike speed off to the finish.

That finish was still a few miles off after the long drag over York Hill with it's twisting but fun descent and the ride past the wind farm into Haslingden. Did I mention the wind? I think Goldie summed it up best - see above! One final sting in the tail waits for you at Hud Rake - did anyone else get snapped by a sneaky photographer hiding between the houses on that brutal hill? All too soon I was heading down the last hill into Rawtenstall - brake, brake, brake for the lights (damn these vintage brakes) then turn left and back to the pub. Some time later as I was heading home I passed a rider who had gone straight on at those lights and was struggling up a climb so I put him right and sent him back down the hill! I'd assumed that he like me was riding home after finishing so I'm glad I asked him where he was heading.

The pie and peas and post-ride banter were as good as ever but I didn't win any beer in the raffle - lucky you Mr K. That shot of you on the Nick is pure class along with some other good ones: http://www.cycling.gallery/#!single-pos ... 41n/i71ktc

It was the best weather yet for me and a great day out as usual. I just wish I had the downhill confidence of everyone else on steel. I'm much more confident on my recently bought carbon bike but I still wouldn't ride this event on anything other than Dac. He's looking a little strange with his temporary Raleigh 653 forks :oops: but the chrome originals will be back soon. Glad you didn't get a close-up Goldie.

Oh and that plan to ride out and back fell apart spectacularly as what I thought was a much flatter route back to Yorkshire turned out to be anything but. Add in the head wind and after 14 miles I was totally finished. A train ride and a "wife rescue" (bless her) later I was safely home with a banging headache but of course looking forward to PWVV 2015!

Mark.

Back