PDM TVT 1990 season

Re:

Thanks, I have found a really interesting photo from 1990. It is a Z team TVT with a single headtube as per my style. So that would mean they were available to the pro teams in 1990. I will post it in the morning as the light is too poor right now. It is taken from the recent Greg Lemond book Yellow Jersey racer. I have the correct rear deraileur on order and a chorus adjustable front deraileur from the 1988 catlogue and a C Record front deraileur (braze on). I will end up with two bikes the way things are going!!
But the interesting thing on the photo from the Greg Lemond book is that it appears it was a standard front band on deraileur that Z used on the TVT frame even though the tube sizing is supposed to be different only 2 mm but who wants to chance cracking a frame!
I also have a seen a photo of Fondriest on a TVT framed time trial bike badged as a Panasonic PR6000. It had the split head tube painted over.
Normally I post when I have the bike frame finished. This is actually better as I am getting great input from everyone. I will check the frame number in the morning and post it too.

Regards,

Pat

Re:

This photo is from the Z team mechanic's support truck

You can see the standard band on front deraileur on the frame in the foreground and the single head tubed TVT

Attachments

• tvt z team 19.jpeg
    tvt z team 19.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 532
Re: Re:

cloonaghpat":c1bc2l8v said:
This photo is from the Z team mechanic's support truck

You can see the standard band on front deraileur on the frame in the foreground and the single head tubed TVT

Pat, your build looks awesome. I agree the single head tube version had been around in the pro peloton for some time. BTW I have a single head tube version in Z colours :)

If you've got a lot of parts you could build a white head tube PDM version too ;)

That's a great photo Pat, and I'll happily stand corrected.

Back in the early 90's I only ever recall seeing them lugged, and then in 92/93 I saw a few one piece head tubed versions in local bike shops, hence why I assumed they were a later model. The resources available for viewing these things back then was so limited, as we only had cheaply printed magazines (of which half of were usually black and white) or local bike shops.

I wonder why they ran both models alongside one another?

It's always been difficult to obtain credible information regarding TVT, and they have always held a mystique about them.

Re:

Hi Benandemu,

I had started my build when another one turned up on ebay, the HM model you describe, for something like 250 euros plus postage.
Mine is a 93 frame. I am thumbing through old Winning magazines for photos and The Fabulous World of Cycling Annuals are also excellent for photos. The Lemond book I took that last photo from is also excellent describing and photographing the various bikes Greg Lemond used right through the 80s/90s

Hi Son of Stringfellow,

Yes the 89 PDM bike is pretty iconic and very nice and there are plenty of decals done for this design, I got into cycling in 1990, so this paint scheme would mean more to me. Just painting and putting the decals on at the moment, hopefully I will have most of the decals on it by next weekend.

Re:

Hi

Yes I have most of the decals on the frame. The Concorde decal and bands on the down tube have been the hardest to get right. I should have the frame completed and clear coated next week. The “Concorde” decal on the down tube is mainly on the white paint and the bands just didn’t look right when I placed them the first time so I have to go back and repaint the downtube to get the join right between the white and black paint I have it sanded down and ready for paint so next week I should have the frame finished

Regards

Pat

Pulling up a chair for the reveal...... :cool:

Re:

This was my last effort still some work to do on the blue banding

Apologies for the state of the table!!

Attachments

• IMG_0634.JPG
    IMG_0634.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_0633.JPG
    IMG_0633.JPG