Packing a frame for postage. Advice please.

bigdavevw":11moxqv0 said:
Use some foam pipe insulation, the stuff that plumbers put round ur radiator pipes. :cool:
Hmmm... This stuff is slightly abrasive, so probably better just to wrap in bubble wrap.

Yes - that big block of polystyrene was wedged in and actually sprized the stays open a little. Bubble wrap around the dropouts and then wedged in the tri wall box. The forks are in the slim box in the bottom corner as the picture is viewed.

When it came back it was packed similar but with a block of wood wedged and taped between the stays.

WD :)

When I post a frame, I usually put two bits of wood between the dropouts, then drop the frame in a box.

Been so far (touch wood!)

I have wrapped frames like a mummy with strips of old blanket, then bubble wrap then brown paper and a tall empty rice pudding tin between the dropouts.

Frame still recognisably a frame but with thick protective coating. Also easy to handle by me and every pair of hands in the transit process so less likely to be dropped or mistaken for just another box :D

No problems encountered other than some of my local post offices refuse to deal with bike sized packages :roll:

Ultimately its the courier who dictates the packaging so do your research.

Ive since posted the frame off to Scotland and had no troubles with my local PO. I used a long bolt and cut squares of wood to protect he BB shell and headtube. The dropouts and hanger have wood in between held in pace with screws. I then wrapped the delicate areas with plenty of bubble and put the whole thing in a thick cardboard box.

Back