Pace RC38 oil leak

Zorro

Retrobike Rider
Hi all, great forum, continues to keep me entertained as I often read but seldom post.

I have a Pace RC38 LT fork which I bought in good condition; it even has a Pace service sticker. Nonetheless I still couldn't resist the urge to tinker...

I've successfully removed the lowers, and the seals are in good condition, so I've cleaned, regreased and reassembled.

Unfortunately I unwittingly unscrewed the lockout actuator device from the top of the fork. When I did so about 10-20ml oil (I am assuming from the damper unit) squirted out under pressure. All the pressure was out of the fork chambers at the time.

I've gathered as much technical info as possible from the Pace website, and it appears the damper unit should contain about 70ml oil. I've tried simply topping up through the hole where the lockout thingy screws in, but it doesn't want to go in. Seems like it needs to be pressurised.

I can't find any detail on how to change the damper oil or how to get at the damper unit itself. Is it possible? If so is it just a case of removing the circlip and pumping up the fork and it'll pop out? Do I need a special tool? Or am I better off contacting your esteemed member 'justbackdated' for a proper service?

Back