Pace rc35 Kevlar

arnoldlayne

Dirt Disciple
Have just got my hands on a pair of pace rc35 Kevlar. Really like the look of them but have been told by many cycle shops they aren't worth spending £100+ on. Have been told to spend the money on new forks. Cheeky to ask but if anyone lives near Stoke on Trent to help get them back working properly I'd be really appreciative. I'm sure they need some new elastomers

Pace are still selling elastomers, they have an eBay shop:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?sid=pace ... efine=true

No need to spend £100.

They are easy to strip down, an Allen headed bolt each side under the cap at the bottom, pull them apart and clean out all the old gunk and mashed elastomers, degrease and let them dry before building back up with fresh grease and new elastomers.

Keep us updated with progress :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Yep, they really are stupidly simple to work on.

What exact model of fork have you got? I know the elastomers for the earlier RC-35K/AB forks (2 large, one small rebound elastomer each side) can be a bit trickier to find.
Pace or Fork English (justbackdated on here) are probably your best bet for elastomers.
And the Pace grease is great for rebuilding/lubricating them with, some "normal" greases can actually deteriorate the elastomer.

From a performance perspective the Bike Shops are probably right. A £100 quid modern fork will out perform RC35's in every area except weight and perhaps looks if you like Carbon Fibre and Alu (I do).

In value for money stakes they are dead wrong. A set with good elastomers (£40 quid-ish) will usually hit £100 on eBay unless they are wrecked - they are well liked and well sought after.

Re:

Thank you for the responses. Still undecided but I am swaying towards keeping them. Look brilliant and very lightweight. I'll have a nose about also to see what would look ok on the bike. It's a Raleigh M Trax Ti 2000. Lovely weight and perfect geometry for me.

Back