Pace RC200 seatpost creak

daveaasmith

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
It's definitely coming from the seatpost and not the saddle, but the clamp is as tight as it's gonna go - the clamp sides are touching each other.

It's definitely the right size, a 29.4mm Thomson, and goes in nice and tightly - by no means does it slide down easily.

Only thing I've done different is to give the inside of the seat tube a good clean/degrease.

Any suggestions, before I start cutting down a can of Tennent's Super to shim it ?

Cheers, Dave

mine did that and it was really annoying.

I did think it was the ti rails of the saddle in the syncros alloy clamp.

but it did get better when i greased the post well and packed the bolt that holds the clamp to the frame in grease too. Even putting a thin layer of copperslip between clamp and frame. Is the o ring in there stil too?

Are you running enough post in the tube? Seem to remember Pace saying there should be at least 130mm of post inside the seat tube.

Wu-Tangled":1mkurkeq said:
Is the o ring in there stil too?
What O'ring ?

Wu-Tangled":1mkurkeq said:
Are you running enough post in the tube?
Aye - the post is a 410mm so there's about 150mm inside I think.

Sounds like a good greasing is in order. Which should I go for? I've only got some gunky white lithium grease, but my LBS seems to use some kind of luminous green stuff, which is really sticky.

Cheers, Dave

Seatpost creak

My RC200 creaked from the seatpost area,with a cheap post,a Syncros and a brand new Thomson one.I tried all i could think of,to no avail.I have sorted it now though.The clamp on my frame had been overtightened,and the two halves touched each other before the post was clamped tight,maybe the result of a shimmed post?I removed the clamp,skimmed a sliver of material away from one side,and now the two halves do not touch,and no creaking for over 6 months,result.
I have to say that the noise did drive me round the twist,almost to the point of selling the frame,but i am so glad i did sort it,as the bike is fantastic to ride. :D :D

Re: Seatpost creak

MRGRUMPY":1fmpv60c said:
I removed the clamp,skimmed a sliver of material away from one side,and now the two halves do not touch.

Excellent fella - sounds like the answer to me :D

Cheers, Dave

My F8 seat use to creak for ages and it drove me absolutely nuts. I used to go out riding with friends and even they got annoyed as the creaks echoed through the frame. I tried oiling/greasing the rails, putting oil in the seat where the rails locate, riding with the seat loose, even fitting the seat with plastic strips to insulate the noise from the frame and replaced the saddle as I was convinced that the noise was coming from the seat.
It was only after a clean when I reassembled the seat post with some thick grease in/around the clamp that the noise went away, turned out the seat clamp was grinding/rubbing on the top of the frame and this was being amplified by the frame. It comes back every six months or so but a quick smear of grease under the clamp and it goes. My friends RC300 had the same problem and this cured it too.

Mine creaked too. Grease and tighten, wait a few months and repeat. Sorted.
Then the creak changed and it turned out to be the bottom of the seat tube - see my avatar :(

Back