Pace Hub question

Craigk

Old School Hero
Hi Guys,

Been away for a while building the Klein, and picked up a front wheel with a Pace hub, with a weird axle- it is slot shaped rather than round, and has two skewer holes. Now, this raises a salient point(s)- is this hub ok to use in my Judys, as to my mind , the skewer will either sit too high or low in the dropouts, ie a little eccentric off centre, and secondly, none of my shimano skewers fit! Slightly too large diameter. is there a thinner skewer I can use, or is it a specific one- have I bought a pup!!! PACE EXPERTS PLEASE HELP!

I've seen this same question twice in the last few months!
A search should find them.
From memory I think the two different holes were for different methods of attachment to the forks. One was threaded for a bolt and the other was for a normal QR.

Ok, tried both and cannot get a standard shimano qr through- one entrance will let it in by about an inch(!) the other not at all? Am I doing
something wrong. Does this need a thinner qr, any ideas?

Sounds like you've got an RC50MT lock. They had an oversized (15mm?) oval ended axle that took a QR through the plain hole or bolts in the threaded hole. I used to run the original Hope ti qr's in mine & they went through the plain hole ok, but not through the threaded one. I think the ends of the axle were slightly tapered & were a perfect fit in the RC35's & 36's I had at the time but once the axle/dropout wore slightly it would fit either way around. I would have thought that the oversized axle with an offset hole would have placed the QR in about the same position as a QR in a standard sized axle but I never used it in any fork other than a Pace - no 'lawyers lips.' I seem to remember standard sized end cap 'grippers' being available so there must have been some issues here with some forks. Can't say I ever noticed any difference when I used bolts.

Thanks for all the help, found a thinner
Suntour skewer, and it fits now, finally snug as a
bug in the judys. Onto the next problem/challenge!

The holes in the axles were drilled from opposite ends and can be a bit 'out' at the central meeting point making some of the thicker skewers tight or impossible to fit ;)

Back