P7 advice - build direction…

dinozoiks

GT Fan
Feedback
View
Long story short, I had a P7 in 1997. Spent everything I had on it. Loved it. It was all black. Had Spinergy wheels and Syncros groupset. Looked epic. Then… it got stolen. Bums.

Being a massive midlife cliche, I want to rebuild it. I don’t have much yet but I do have the Spinergy wheels, a Syncros thread-less stem and (curveball) a set of Pace RC30’s (instead of the Syncros Powerlites). Planning an XT 737 component groupset as that’s what I had back in 97. Will also be repainting black, so not so bothered about shiny nickel goodness.

Here’s where I need some sage nudges / direction advice. I want it to be “kinda like I had” but realise some stuff is getting tricky and expensive to source. So I’m being realistic. I think the frame has to come next, which will dictate some component choices. Bluntly, early 1” headset frame or later 1 1/8” headset frame.

I think I have 4 options…

1) I go pre-98, get a new 1” threaded steerer for the forks and sell / source a new stem. Sidestep the Syncros forks vibe and kid myself I’m going for a “British stuff” vibe. The Pace forks work well.
2) Early 1” frame, full Syncros stuff. Can’t use the fork or stem I have. Essentially, all I have is wheels for this option and a massive bill ahead of me. But it’s legit what I had.
3) I go post-98 and keep the 1 1/8” forks / stem, but secretly wince as it’s not an older one like wot I had. I like the rear facing seat slot / cable hanger etc. No Syncros forks. Keep it Pace.
4) I’ve heard tell of a mystical unicorn cross-over frame in 1997 that was essentially a pre-97 read end with a 1 1/8” head tube. Never seen one though. If you have one, let’s talk!

If you were going to build a P7 with Syncros and XT, what would your advice be? I’m erring on “series 8 with 1 1/8”… Pace forks and Syncros / XT everything else”. I know it’s a “dude, it’s your call” thing but interested in thought re costs and practicality.

The more you spend, the greater the value of your investment. 😃

It's better than putting it in your pension - you can't ride that!

you should be able to find the same model year as your old one, go with that, get it built period correct-ish, and buy and sell parts as you move it forward to how you want it.

You dont need to get it right 1st time, and you can have more fun building, riding, thinking and searching

I think if you are looking to recapture your youth, then you know the build you need. The others can come later once that itch is scratched.

So, the “I now only have the wheels and a big bill ahead but I’ll sleep batter knowing it correct” option. Sound advice. 😂

Back