P2 Fork questions - Steerer lengths - Kona/Marin help

AH1F

Devout Dirtbag
I’m planning a winter road ride and as a part of it I want to try out a Project 2 fork out on one of my 1990-1992 Marin frames (all 17.5”). I’ve search post on here but haven’t found a definitive answer for any of my questions.

As the frames are obviously not geometry adjusted for suspension, do I need to pick up a pre ’94 fork? Or are there 2 types of post ’94 P2 fork? i.e. An “original” and suspension geometry adjusted one? -the fork on my Cindercone was sus-geo adjusted.

The Marin fork on the Team Marin ‘90 frame has a 185mm steerer, of which 40mm is thread and the crown-axle length is (roughly) 400mm. Does anyone know if the P2 fork was available with a similar steerer? Or does anyone have one to part with?

Finally, has anyone ridden early 1990s Marin with a P2 fork? There is one anecdotal reference on here but that’s about it. Thanks.

Re:

There are more than two types but looks like you'll need the early ones at about 395/400mm axle to crown legnth!
Also available double or triple butted.
Great forks though.

Re:

The original fork on my 1990 Marin was 390mm axle to crown, which I think was the standard for 26" wheels pre suspension correction.

I put a 410mm P2 onto my 1994 Pine Mountain, it worked very nicely indeed.

As Marins (in my view) always seemed a little nervous, the slight slackening of the geometry came as an improvement to me. Certainly the 94 was much improved by 63mm sus forks or the longer P2.

I "think" 20" konas upto 1996 had 193mm threaded steerers inc. crown race. headtube on those was 15cm.

or you can ditch your stem and convert to ahead.

Back