Original or this...?

odyofael

Dirt Disciple
I recently acquired a mountain bike and it has Chris King hubs, black spokes and Mavic 517 rims. If you were me and you have a Cannondale BOTE M800, LX equipped (all original), would you replace the hubs with the CK? The thing I like about the LX is its soft sound when you freewheel, the CK is like 75% louder. What would you do? The option of keeping both sets is out the door. The bike where the CK came from has to be sold. I want to here your suggestions. I am not really into rest. I want realiability.
CannondaleM800017.jpg

CannondaleM800018.jpg

CannondaleM800016.jpg

CannondaleM800013.jpg

CannondaleM800019.jpg

CannondaleM800011.jpg

if i were in your position i woulsd definately sell on the chris king wheels.

keep the cannondale original and the king whores will pay big for the wheels

It sounds to me like you want to keep it original and reliable and don't like the noise of the king hubs. I've got a set of rolf wheels and the freewheel noise is astoundingly loud (but I don't mind it).

If you do sell on the king wheels, I would be interested as I'm looking for something nice to fit to a build, though what period would these be considered from? I can also throw you an LX rear hub if you like, as I had it on my RTS2 from new, and that is long gone, but I still have the hub. Happy to part-ex against a few quid off the king wheels should you choose to sell them.

Thanks for all the response guys. Would the LX hubs be as reliable as the CK (if they are)? I'm a heavy set guy and would like something really reliable.

No LX are reliable, but CK are engineered to last, that's the whole point and why you pay a preimum.

LX are perfectly adequate though and the wheels will last a good long time if they are in good condition to start with.

passiflora":2pzmvr31 said:
No LX are reliable, but CK are engineered to last, that's the whole point and why you pay a preimum.

LX are perfectly adequate though and the wheels will last a good long time if they are in good condition to start with.
So just stick with the OE? The CK look cool though. I dont really care about the vintage. Reliabilty is my main concern. To start with, the LX's are pretty smooth. I bought the bike from the original owner.

And I just checked, the front still has the original (?) Panracer SMOKE tires. :D

Back