Original except... Gt Karakoram on FB Marketplace

Its a bit like Triggers Broom....

He's done a nice job, although I think he's about to find out that spending $800 restoring a bike doesn't make it worth $800!

I doubt very much that is a Karakoram, on closer inspection it has double eyelets on the rear dropouts, which to my knowledge only appeared on lower end frames, like the outpost. There were only ever single eyelets for racks on older Karakoram frames IIRC.
Another problem on this bike is he's put black wheels on with nuts for fasteners, no quick release? Black rims are bad, as they are not rim brake friendly, irregular wear and looks awful once the black starts wearing off. The forks look like basic steel Aheadset forks, nothing worthy of the Karakoram legacy. Need I say more?
Also, any GT Karakoram has never had STX parts on them, whilst I appreciate it may be cost saving, it's not considered an upgrade. And lastly, why put Karakoram decals on a bike that is not a GT Karakoram!
It's not worth $800, ever.
Rant over,

I can't see the listing, but as you say if it has double eyelets I'm pretty sure it is not a Karakoram. Does it have an integrated seat clamp?

And lastly, why put Karakoram decals on a bike that is not a GT Karakoram!

It happens:

The description reads; Original except for customized handlebar, grips, petals, wheels, tires, and seat which are all brand new. Added new chain and decals as well

Attachments

• 461901Fake Karakoram back side view.jpg
    461901Fake Karakoram back side view.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 4618503Drive side view Fake Karakoram.jpg
    4618503Drive side view Fake Karakoram.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 4618674Fake Karakoram top view.jpg
    4618674Fake Karakoram top view.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 4618577Fake Karakoram frontside view.jpg
    4618577Fake Karakoram frontside view.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 5
I doubt very much that is a Karakoram, on closer inspection it has double eyelets on the rear dropouts, which to my knowledge only appeared on lower end frames, like the outpost. There were only ever single eyelets for racks on older Karakoram frames IIRC.
Another problem on this bike is he's put black wheels on with nuts for fasteners, no quick release? Black rims are bad, as they are not rim brake friendly, irregular wear and looks awful once the black starts wearing off. The forks look like basic steel Aheadset forks, nothing worthy of the Karakoram legacy. Need I say more?
Also, any GT Karakoram has never had STX parts on them, whilst I appreciate it may be cost saving, it's not considered an upgrade. And lastly, why put Karakoram decals on a bike that is not a GT Karakoram!
It's not worth $800, ever.
Rant over,
I agree on the eyelet number though ( I hadn't spotted that). He's used Karakoram K2 decals. I think that the K2 model was only produced in 89/90 - none of those had double eyelets. AFAIK

My bet would be this is a 94 Timberline...but that's just a wild guess.

I've never bought someone else's resto or restomod (or spent $800 on a retobike!)

Looking though the catalogues from that era, it's most likely a '95 Tequesta as it has a separate seat collar, but still has two eyelets on the dropouts, also this model has STX groupset. Either way, still not a 1990 Karakoram!
Looking at the shape of the seat stays, it would make sense that is a '95 Tequesta, I just hope they didn't respray over the Team Scream colour way.

Back