Orbit Romany - Columbus Nivacrom

I don't know who maintained this but I suspect it was the owner.

A front brake juddering had me concerned that the replacement brake calipers weren't going to work.

I took a step back and thought, have I encountered this before?

Yes, I had, it was the headset top cap set directly on the stem instead of using a spacer! Lo and behold, it was the same issue that I'm sure quite a few cyclists make.

Once I'd adjusted the spacers, problem solved.

Over the years, I'm amazed how many seasoned riders don't know how a headset operates and how to recognise and resolve issues with it.

I can only assume, they've replaced it when it became an issue, often, needlessly.

I got inspired by this thread and picked this up today. An earlier version I think, as no disc mounts. Seller thought it was the 853 version of the Romany, but it's had a respray at some point and lost its original frame stickers. Only rode it for 15mins but pretty pleased so far. Slow and steady and feels like a tank (in a good way).

Attachments

• PXL_20231120_133028546.jpg
    PXL_20231120_133028546.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
At last, it's done.

Why do drop handlebars always look oversized in photos? Despite how it appears, they're not!

Very comfortable and planted. It's built to ride at my pace i.e. slow.

Rolls pretty well. I'll see how the tyres cope as I've never used this particular one before.

I took the front rack off as I'll probably use the bar bag.

Tried this saddle and initial thoughts are very good. If it doesn't work out then I'll swap it out for my Brooks Flyer.
Very nice: I once travelled all the way to Dorset to collect one of these but, having too many bikes, I eventually sold.

Just joined the forum. My Orbit Romany bought ex-demo from the factory c.1997. Refurbished 11 years ago by deafblind cycle technician Graham Hicks, at Hix Cycles, Peterborough. Frame stripped and powder-coated British Racing Green, and straight handlebars fitted; it's hung in my garage ever since. The Romany is deserving of use but it looked so pristine after its refurb., it became an 'exhibit' rather than a grab and go bike. Also have a 1960s? 531 frame Falcon racer; it was also rebuilt by Graham. Recently sold my Dawes Horizon which was a great workhorse. . BW, dunk

Attachments

• DAWES-2023-11-05_3388.jpg
    DAWES-2023-11-05_3388.jpg
    616.7 KB · Views: 12
At last, it's done.

Why do drop handlebars always look oversized in photos? Despite how it appears, they're not!

Very comfortable and planted. It's built to ride at my pace i.e. slow.

Rolls pretty well. I'll see how the tyres cope as I've never used this particular one before.

I took the front rack off as I'll probably use the bar bag.

Tried this saddle and initial thoughts are very good. If it doesn't work out then I'll swap it out for my Brooks Flyer.

A bit late to this thread but I am considering a 2nd hand Orbit like this in large which seems pretty ideal for a tough steel diamond-frame 26" tourer and I am wondering what would be the maximum tyre size front and back that could be fitted. The usage I am planning is a mixture of tarmac, gravel and some slightly tougher off-road stuff and so for that I would ideally like to fit at least 2.2"/60mm semi-slick but tough gravel tyres (without mudguards if necessary). Is that likely to be possible?

Also, if anybody has knowledge on how I can identify which tubes were used in a particular example that would be great. It seems that at least Reynolds 520 (i.e. bog std), 853 (i.e. pretty high-end) and Nivacrom (not sure about where that sits) were used at various times.

Thx

M

A bit late to this thread but I am considering a 2nd hand Orbit like this in large which seems pretty ideal for a tough steel diamond-frame 26" tourer and I am wondering what would be the maximum tyre size front and back that could be fitted. The usage I am planning is a mixture of tarmac, gravel and some slightly tougher off-road stuff and so for that I would ideally like to fit at least 2.2"/60mm semi-slick but tough gravel tyres (without mudguards if necessary). Is that likely to be possible?

Also, if anybody has knowledge on how I can identify which tubes were used in a particular example that would be great. It seems that at least Reynolds 520 (i.e. bog std), 853 (i.e. pretty high-end) and Nivacrom (not sure about where that sits) were used at various times.

Thx

M
I love mine, would definitely recommend.

Have currently got quite fat 2 inch semi slicks and mudguards fitted with no issues. You might be ok going wider.

I don't know about a 520 version, although they made the related Expedition bike in 531. My understanding is the 853 frames are slightly earlier and the nivacrom ones later, the latter having disc mounts and the former being rim brake only is one tell. (Although I don't know if they made an 853 disc version at some point.)

My large is definitely LARGE though, so I'd recommend you check the size carefully if you haven't. It's quite a high bottom bracket and a looong head tube.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back