Orange R8

c2w - that's quite interesting, actually, and pretty unbelievable! I think maybe Orange's steel frames in particular gained a lot of weight when the CEN disc brake test thing came in. I dread to think how heavy the modern P7 is...!

ibob - Yeah, I was surprised too. I am looking for a new modern steel hardtail frame and short listed the Prestige and R8. Except for 2.4kg/ 5.3 lbs with seat clamp at probikeshop dot com, I couldn't find any weights for the Orange R8. 2.4 kg seemed a bit high, so I thought I would ask the bike shop to double check it and it is pretty close.

It could be due to the new CEN standard; I don't know. At the end of the day, the R8 is probably a great frame and a few extra grams won't make a huge difference. I just wish Orange would provide some weight information.

2.4kg weight at probikeshop dot com/orange-r8-frame-powder-blue-2010/29900.html

Attachments

• 2010-Orange-R8-Geometry-Weight.gif
    2010-Orange-R8-Geometry-Weight.gif
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,301
I don't expect manufacturers to be producing super light frames when they have to consider the purpose for which they will be used.

In an increasingly litigious society it is prudent to build in a margin of strength that will allow for the more extreme end of the proposed use.

Personally, I consider the frame as the bike, everything else can be replaced around it.

I would rather have a little extra weight in the frame and risk a lighter wheel set to get the weight down.

When you are considering a range of frame sizes how practical is it for a manufacturer to give exact weights? I would be happy for a ?-? approximately.

It is great to think that Orange bikes will still be knocking about in another twenty years time, and people will be raving about some of these recent ones just like we do about the early ones!

Latest posts

Back