Orange P7 (1996) - Completely Original Spec (even the tyres)

Vibration prevention makes sense - a nice mechanics trick! Also I just found this on Sheldon's website:

'"Criss-Cross" Cables
Most bicycles with handlebar-mounted shifters run the rear cable on the right, the front on the left. This causes some awkwardness in routing the length of housing from the shift lever to the frame stops. Due to the need to allow these housings to be long enough to permit the bars to be turned all the way back and forth, the housings often wind up making a reverse bend--for instance, the rear will go from the shifter, which is on the right, swing forward and cross over past the centerline of the bicycle, then back over to the right side of the top tube, before heading down the down tube. These extra bends increase friction, and the fairly forcible contact between the housing and the side of the top tube can damage the finish.
A neat solution to this is to run the cables "criss-cross" style: The rear runs from the lever, (on the right) around the top tube, and to the cable stop on the left side of the downtube! The front cable crosses over similarly from the left side of the handlebar to the right side of the down tube.

The bare cables then cross one another under the middle of the downtube, making an "X". The cables may touch where they cross, but they will do so very lightly, since they are both straight...the tiny bit of friction at this crossing is more than offset by the reduction in friction in the smoother-flowing cable housings.'

This does make sense and is nicely demonstrated in the photo - you can see where the right hand shifter cable would benefit from entering the left hand cable stop & then crossing back over to RH side - However! - this isn't how its been routed on the kona. Im confused!

Aside from this nonsense that bike is immaculate, very nice indeed.

Yep - that description describes so much more eloquently what I was trying to say in my previous post!

So this example (i imagine) is either done solely to reduce rattling as previously suggested, or in error, or it may be that the bottom bracket cable guide has been installed differently to normal so that it requires the cables to run through it on the opposite sides to how you'd expect. Normally the front mech's cable would run on the left of the guide when looking down on the bike from above, facing forwards - this one seemingly must have been set-up to run on the right. I can't see any reason why this would be desirable and a couple why it specifically would not be...

Anyway, if the bike and its gears run smoothly it is of little consequence!

I do favour Sheldon's routing though - far smoother outer cables which in my experience is an excellent fettle

Sorry - can't part with it now. For the money I can get its not worth selling. I'm gonna keep it for training. Regards Callum

Back