Orange P16

simonk

Dirt Disciple
Have just become the keeper of an early nineties Orange P16 in a small size for my 12YO son who's finding it tough lugging his Kona Shred around X-Country stuff ! Bit of a bitza with the parts, but has come with an early set of 1" Judys on and a spare pair of very early (canti boss) Judys on an 1 1/8 steerer.

Will post some photos up when I've had a chance to sort it out.

Cheers
Simon

simonk":3r4h4p7d said:
..an early nineties Orange P16..

Hey Dude, do you mean C16 or P7?

Looking forward to the photos; used to have a C16R myself back in '95..

was this the nearly complete one on ebay??

it looked to be in pretty good nick from the pictures.

So, having had it up on the stand and had a good look in the daylight, what I have is an Orange C16R.

It's was put together a while ago with an assortment of bits by my brother for his girlfriend (now wife) and since on loan to another mate for his girlfriend.

RockShox Judy fork, mismatched XT hubs (one silver, one steel blue) on mis-matched Mavic rims, skinny Conti Cross Country tyres. Late '90s (?)XT front and LX rear mechs, STX chainset, Servo Wave Vees and some copy Shimano platform pedals. A Kalloy suspension seatpin (knackered) and some very nice risers and stem on a Profile quill / Ahead adapter.

Also came with some extra Judys with gold legs and canti bridge on an 1" 1/8 Ahead steerer - my brother explained that the legs had been swapped over, so the black lowers should be on the spare fork and the gold lowers on the 1" steerer on the bike. Have already stripped off the risers and adapter and fitted a short quill stem and flat bar (saved 300g) and will get a solid seatpin as soon as I can to replace the Kalloy one.

It's a bit grubby but properly dialled in, gears and brakes are sweet so just a good clean next.

Aim is to just tidy it up and build it into a nice light bike so my son can enjoy it, hope to be out on it at Thetford soon !

Photo to follow once I can re-size the file !

Cheers
Simon

Anyone able to date it and have a picture in original spec ?? Frame is matt black with just the Orange C16R logo on the head tube...

Might be up for trading the spare gold leg Judys for another early 90's short travel fork on an 1" steerer to go on my Stumpy

cheers
Simon

We went to our LBS and bought a nice light seatpin and a no-name saddle with cr-mo rails from their 'new swapped out OEM' box (£7.50!). Fitted them in place of the knackered Kalloy suspension post and Terry saddle. Saved nearly 400g. Just for fun weighed the Orange against James' 2010 Kona Shred - obviously different bikes for a different job, but the Orange is a whole 4 kilos lighter !!

Cheers
Simon

Back