Orange (Formula?) Poole

Re: Re:

sinnerman":1grcj2l0 said:
This might be the closest we may ever get to finding a Works Replica.

We shall have to play the waiting game and see.

What we could do with is a colour image of a Works Replica..... We all need to scan the early magazines........There must be something out there....?

Whilst the frameset is a 'Works Replica' in everything but name, I don't believe its a rebranded Tushingham WR frameset.
These were supposed to be built to order, and I wouldn't expect there would be a few framesets already fabricated on the off-chance they may have fit the customer when ordered, ... if you are paying out £1300+ in 1988-89 for a bike, you are expecting a 'custom' build' as that is what you are paying for!

There is no doubt in my mind that it is an 'Orange' which has been fabricated to the drawings of the TWR, that at this point in time are no longer required.....no need to reinvent the wheel and design a new frameset when you have one ready to go no longer being used.

How many people saw or even owned a TWR? Dave has no records or does he recall how many he fabricated.
I doubt very much that anyone who bought a 'cross-braced' Orange said "that looks just like the Tushingham Works Replica, except its Orange, not red"......I now stand-by to be corrected....

On the other hand, Tushingham B52's becoming Orange Clockworks is well recorded by those who had them.

Andy T":2xyn8yan said:
sinnerman":2xyn8yan said:
This might be the closest we may ever get to finding a Works Replica.

We shall have to play the waiting game and see.

What we could do with is a colour image of a Works Replica..... We all need to scan the early magazines........There must be something out there....?

Whilst the frameset is a 'Works Replica' in everything but name, I don't believe its a rebranded Tushingham WR frameset.
These were supposed to be built to order, and I wouldn't expect there would be a few framesets already fabricated on the off-chance they may have fit the customer when ordered, ... if you are paying out £1300+ in 1988-89 for a bike, you are expecting a 'custom' build' as that is what you are paying for!

There is no doubt in my mind that it is an 'Orange' which has been fabricated to the drawings of the TWR, that at this point in time are no longer required.....no need to reinvent the wheel and design a new frameset when you have one ready to go no longer being used.

How many people saw or even owned a TWR? Dave has no records or does he recall how many he fabricated.
I doubt very much that anyone who bought a 'cross-braced' Orange said "that looks just like the Tushingham Works Replica, except its Orange, not red"......I now stand-by to be corrected....

On the other hand, Tushingham B52's becoming Orange Clockworks is well recorded by those who had them.

I agree, I dont think its been rebranded Per se, but the TWR is certainly the blue print fabrication. As you say if this was deemed the best tubeset of its time, using the most currently accepted geometry and fillet brazed too, there would have been little need to change anything at all.
Aside from the Newly formed company colours and logos of course, it was already considered the flagship offering from one of the most respected frame builders of the time.
So much so the essential design was used under the Dave Yates Banner as we have seen.
But the fun question here is, what came first, the chicken or the egg....?
Has this fact any relevance to the name given...……. The Works Replica....? Or is this just romantic fantasy....? the truth is, we will never know.
As mentioned camp fire stories...!

Even the use of the front cantilever brake over the U-Brake is a small step forward the market took at this exact moment in time and for obvious reasons, and I think it could have been weeks and not months we are talking about too. If the Bar and stem combo on this one did turn out to be one piece, that also adds a little weight to the direction at the time too.

[quote But the fun question here is, what came first, the chicken or the egg....?[/quote]

Biologically speaking, there were eggs long before Chickens.......... ;)

There were also Tushinghams and potential Tushinghham Works Replica's before there were Orange MTBs of any description or flavour of builder...... :D

I've emailed the seller for additional photos of the bike, will post them up If I receive any....

Andy T":2ba6cce6 said:
[quote But the fun question here is, what came first, the chicken or the egg....?

Biologically speaking, there were eggs long before Chickens..........

There were also Tushinghams and potential Tushinghham Works Replica's before there were Orange MTBs of any description or flavour of builder...... :D

I've emailed the seller for additional photos of the bike, will post them up If I receive any....[/quote]

That's very true, my head was thinking more of, the "Tushingham Works Replica" or the "Dave Yates" version of it.

Attachments

• TUSHINGHAM%20WORKS%20REPLICA.JPG
    TUSHINGHAM%20WORKS%20REPLICA.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 659
  • team-feature3 (2).jpg
    team-feature3 (2).jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 659
  • 1988%20Dave%20Yates,%20Displaying%20the%20same%20stem_.jpg
    1988%20Dave%20Yates,%20Displaying%20the%20same%20stem_.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 659

Andy T":3ax1nvop said:

I spotted one of these in a MBUK of the time being ridden by a well known windsurfer in Fuerte, I contacted him to seen if it was still around but sadly long gone/forgotten. I bet it could be parked up outside a bar in Cotilio or Correleco though as a pub bike!

jimo746":24npgtrj said:
Could be a Formula. Has the same cross bracing at the rear as one i have.
But that's the only similarity I can see (aside from paint colour).

My first thought was thst it was an '89 Clockwork frame .
Could be a production Formula though, I'll await the opinions of more expert Orange fans than me though...

I Missed this when I read the thread...…., "Could be a Formula. Has the same cross bracing at the rear as the one i have."

I dont thing you have posted this anywhere have you....? Its not in your signature list either....? It this the one fattiman was selling on here, that ended up on gumtree for £300 ono, or is it another none of us know about ….? Very intrigued.

sinnerman":dphpb3y5 said:
Is this the one fattiman was selling on here, that ended up on gumtree for £300 ono.

That's the one, I think the rusty pile of tubes cost me about £120 in the end :LOL:
It needs extensive work, but I'm a sucker for a basket case sometimes :facepalm:
It's currently hanging in the shed awaiting the day I grow the balls to take the plunge and get something done with it, although to my untrained eye it might be that the frame lugs end up being the only original part of the frame to be saved :LOL:

Don't hold your breath.....

jimo746":1zzrzbg7 said:
sinnerman":1zzrzbg7 said:
Is this the one fattiman was selling on here, that ended up on gumtree for £300 ono.

That's the one, I think the rusty pile of tubes cost me about £120 in the end :LOL:
It needs extensive work, but I'm a sucker for a basket case sometimes :facepalm:
It's currently hanging in the shed awaiting the day I grow the balls to take the plunge and get something done with it, although to my untrained eye it might be that the frame lugs end up being the only original part of the frame to be saved :LOL:

I’ll give you £130 for it. ;)

:facepalm:

brocklanders023":v0tr870d said:
jimo746":v0tr870d said:
sinnerman":v0tr870d said:

I’ll give you £130 for it. ;)

:facepalm:

£133.37, and bag of Midget Gems, a box full of crap Mountain Exage and some unused Xmas cards.....

:D

Re:

I'll give you a virtual pat on the back during virtual pity and virtual walking away shaking my head while you post it to me free of charge so you dont feel like your robbing me .......and reasonable feedback.
you will feel better for it
rofl.gif

Back