Orange Aluminium O headset

Red Eye

Dirt Disciple
Hi Guys, I'm trying to do up an Orange Aluminium O for my wife to use. The problem I've come up against is that I took out the headset cups to fit a new headset, to discover that the headset I've bought is totally the wrong size !!! :oops:

The head tube ID is 36.70mm to fit around an 1 1/8" fork tube. Does anybody know who makes a HS to fit these size frames as I've scoured the internet to find nowt :cry:

Any help would be appreciated as the summer has arrived (well the clocks have changed !!) & we want to go out ;)
Cheers Greg

The headtube is sized for a 1 1/4" headset and forks. If you had a 1 1/8" fork fitted then the existing headset was something like a Chris King Devolution which effectively acts as a reducer.

Mavic do a chipper 1 1/4 headset. I may have a spare, I'll have a dig around tonight - drop me a line if you're interested. As Paul says though, a reduction cup may be a cheaper option.

Fibble, that would be great if you could ;) what sort of cost?

The problem is the size of the interferance fit between the cups & the frame head tube inner dia. the one that came out, a shimano XT with a threaded top nut was a bit of a miss match, but had an angled reducer for the fork stearing tube ?! HELP !!

The headset had a interferance dia. of 37.00mm & the head tube was 36.70mm. Does anybody still make headsets of this size anymore, I've looked all across the FSA web site to find they dont make one for this size, was thisd a special size that only orange used on there bikes?

Any help or advice wolud be cool ;)

it's a 1 1/4 inch headset. Don't know if you can buy them anywhere new any more but I got one with my Aluminium O and then bought another one from ebay. I can't remember what I paid for it but I'll have a look.

I'm pretty sure a 1 1/4 to 1 1/8 headset reduction cup would save your bacon as well (and I think I may also have one of those). I'll dig around the box of tricks later and drop you a message if that's OK?

my 'O' has an M900 XTR headset in it with the original rigid fork/stem/bar combo

Not that its much help if you've got a 1 1/8 forks

Back