Options For Changing 6 spd Uniglide To Something Modern?

legrandefromage":9b7mocl0 said:
I havent read all of this but a quick glance at the pictures leads me to think that you have a 7 speed width freehub body there anyway.

I have had TWO, yes TWO (count them!) very early British Eagle bikes- one from 1987 and the earliest I've seen so far, 1986.

Really interesting post, because your pink one is the same as mine originally was. However, the previous owner couldn't live with the colour, and resprayed it dark blue. However, everything else is how it left the factory - not sure of the exact production years of these bikes.

Mine still has the shark fin on the chain stay, and original (worn) Madison Strada saddle. Wondering if yours has been replaced - but looks similar. Original Rigida wheels still fitted but now wearing road slicks, and can't see from your photo, but the handlebars on mine are white. Mine also has a chrome derailleur knock guard fitted to RH dropout, which assume is original.

Your handlebars look slightly different. Mine are flatter, whereas yours have more of an upwards offset. I may look into new handlebars, because even though the quill is adjusted up as far as it will go, I would still like them slightly higher.

When you say that you changed the hub and cassette, did you change to Hyperglide?

Will do some more photos in a few days, after I run a cloth over it. Has been used a fair bit last couple of weeks without too much attention. Good to see other Eagles still out there.

woodbine":3bkkv92u said:
legrandefromage":3bkkv92u said:
I havent read all of this but a quick glance at the pictures leads me to think that you have a 7 speed width freehub body there anyway.

I have had TWO, yes TWO (count them!) very early British Eagle bikes- one from 1987 and the earliest I've seen so far, 1986.

Really interesting post, because your pink one is the same as mine originally was. However, the previous owner couldn't live with the colour, and resprayed it dark blue. However, everything else is how it left the factory - not sure of the exact production years of these bikes.

Mine still has the shark fin on the chain stay, and original (worn) Madison Strada saddle. Wondering if yours has been replaced - but looks similar. Original Rigida wheels still fitted but now wearing road slicks, and can't see from your photo, but the handlebars on mine are white. Mine also has a chrome derailleur knock guard fitted to RH dropout, which assume is original.

Your handlebars look slightly different. Mine are flatter, whereas yours have more of an upwards offset. I may look into new handlebars, because even though the quill is adjusted up as far as it will go, I would still like them slightly higher.

When you say that you changed the hub and cassette, did you change to Hyperglide?

Will do some more photos in a few days, after I run a cloth over it. Has been used a fair bit last couple of weeks without too much attention. Good to see other Eagles still out there.

Lgf didn't even go that far he changed just the freehub body on the end of the hub so no wheel build involved. The original hyperglide bodies took both 7s hyperglide and 6/7s uniglide cassettes as road continued with uniglide after MTB changed to hyperglide. If you are lucky you maybe able to find a mountain LX, deore 2 of xt2 hub body that you can switch over and use your uniglide until worn out and then move to 7s.

Carl

legrandefromage":pyqya2g6 said:
I just lobbed on whatever happened to be lying around...!

I wish I had the confidence.

Also need the confidence to keep the LBGT pink. I knew my bike in early 90s when the bloke I bought it from got ragged by his mates. The respray quickly followed.

Will get some photos for you of how it is now.

Looks like cheap, new 6 speed Hyperglide cassettes are available.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-mf-t ... prod18963/

So, if I wanted to fit one of these in place of my old 6 speed Uniglide, would it work/fit? What hub/freewheel would I need, and are they available new? Would the new cassette work with my old SIS shifters and derailleur.

If I can get the parts needed I will buy them and put them away for when my current sprockets and freehub are shot, as I intend to use the bike a lot in future.

woodbine":3q8mtcfl said:

So, if I wanted to fit one of these in place of my old 6 speed Uniglide, would it work/fit? What hub/freewheel would I need, and are they available new? Would the new cassette work with my old SIS shifters and derailleur.

If I can get the parts needed I will buy them and put them away for when my current sprockets and freehub are shot, as I intend to use the bike a lot in future.

That is a screw on freewheel. It will not and never fit your hub.

You need:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-stx-rc- ... 10000599uk

and a 10mm allen key

freewheel-vs-k7.jpg

k7hub-3-styles.jpg

legrandefromage":3rhsb1qn said:
woodbine":3rhsb1qn said:

That is a screw on freewheel. It will not and never fit your hub.

You need:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-stx-rc- ... 10000599uk

and a 10mm allen key

Looks like I confused the two types there. So, basically, non-freewheel Hyperglides aren't available in 6 speed? Only 7 speed?

Latest posts

Back