onza pedals

I suppose that, in all fairness, my only experience with them was on a freezing winter day out at Thetford and so there may have been other icing factors involved. Still a silly spring medium though.

therapy":3chp9b8l said:
In Onza catalog its said "SPD compatible". Yup, with Shimano cleats, you can step in and can't step out ;) .

But if you can do a little modification to Shimano cleats - they work almost flawlessly. If you are interested, drop me a PM, I'll give you details.

I use them in my modern MTB with hardest rubbers - black and they work fine without any issues.

Cheers
therapy

i do have some spare cleats but i would be interested in the shimano cleat mod !!!! perhaps you could share your wisdom with the forum sometime ? please ?

mtbfix.... yea you are right it might be a bit of a silly spring medium, but they were some of the first ever clipless mtb pedals so you have to forgive onza for there slight design flaw, but they still work perfectly.
granted i live in Cornwall and it doesnt really get that cold down here, but a couple of weeks ago it did get to -7 , i didnt have any problems with them then and im not planning on doing much riding in those conditions anyway ;)

I never had any problems with them BitD, the Ti one's probably go cheap as they knacker up quicker (the Ti where the copper bushing goes gains 'gooves' and wears) just like mine so gain play..
I've used SPD cleats with them, don't remember many problems (but then I don't remember how I used them) but the real cleats work better (and have float). Also ran them for a long time without cleats with trainers, shoes, etc and they're not bad that way either ;)

I think think SPD Compatible was w.r.t. fitting in 'SPD' shoes (As opposed to older clipless designs, SPD where not the first ;-) )

I ran them from 93 for 5 years or so on my main bikes. In all weather conditions and I never had any problems. I liked them better than the SPD's for the float they provided as mentioned above.

Only when I moved abroad and started riding real mountains I opted for the shimano 545 platform + SPD format. Hence I'm interested in the SPD cleat mod too.

Will the modified cleat still work with SPD's, i.e. can I use one pair of shoes with both SPD and HO pedals?

magicmistertea, I've used for conversion a SH-M55 or 56 cleat - Shimano says its a double side step out cleat (multidirectional).

You need to cut a little these ends as shown on photo (its a SH 51 cleat but my looks almost the same) from upper front about 1-2mm (1) and rear about 1-2mm (2) and cut these back edges (3) and round them a little. I've used a Dremel tool with a cutting disc.

I did it step by step, so I can't exactly say how much cut is enough, but if you try to fit them into pedals you can find out yourself.

P.S. If you need more info, I couldl unscrew the cleat from my shoe and post a photo of it.

Cheers
Lukasz

Attachments

• Shimano to Onza clip conversion.JPG
    Shimano to Onza clip conversion.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,750
IbocProSX":317yrn4r said:
Will the modified cleat still work with SPD's, i.e. can I use one pair of shoes with both SPD and HO pedals?

After conversion I've tried them only with Ritchey SPD's (BTW these are also not 100% SPD compatible ;) ) and they worked really crap - step in could be OK, but stepping out was really unpredictable - sometimes you don't want to, other time you can't :LOL: .

Before the conversion they worked with Ritchey's good, not great, but good.

Something from First Flight is this
Wellgo made cleats to fit onZa HO pedals, we checked them against a standard 98A Wellgo cleat and they appear identical except for the amount of float

http://www.firstflightbikes.com/cranks-p.htm#Pedals

Unfortunately the prices seem to have gone up since last time I looked and the exchange rate makes it even worse.

Pic of OnZa one's (HOX same as HO's ?)
Lpedal80.JPG

I've got assorted NOS spares for ONZA pedals but sadly only one set of spare cleats which I'll have to keep for myself (unless anyone wants the lot including my pedals)
Retention plate kit (part #PDA-1406)
Titanium spindle kit (part #PDA-1405)
Bushing/bearing kit (part #PDA-1403)
Guide plate kit (part #PDA-140:cool:
Elastomer kit (part #PDA-1407)
The elastomer kit has 4 colour elastomers - white (easiest release), light grey, blue and black (hardest release). Again I'd keep the black set for my pedals so would be happy to post FOC any of the remaining elastomers once the packet's been opened.
No idea what the other bits are worth to anyone. Offers ? otherwise they back in the spares box

afaik there are some clipless pedals from corratec that use the same cleats. got onza cleats from ebay though so didn't search any further. sold mine anyway and will stick with shimano...

Back