One less Sbike fully

Raging_Bulls

Sbike Fan
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Not sure if this should be here or in the reader's bikes section, as it's not really a build topic. I merely wanted to share some pictures and have a moment of silence.

Just took delivery of an Sbike 828 with a broken frame, which I bought on the EvilBay from our Polish member ditbicykles.
Despite the bike's condition, the seller had spent a lot of time and effort to package it properly. I wish everyone would do such a nice job.

Then I looked at the wheels, and somehow they reminded me of homemade Tioga Disk Drives. So I took out a marker pen and ...

Right, the time for jokes is over.

After cutting all that packaging (and myself), I finally managed to get a good look at the damage.
The eBay pics were obvious, but seeing it in real life is still something else than looking at a picture.

And here's another one that sends shivers down my spine ...

Weirdly enough, the swingarm doesn't move at all. I suspect they overtightened it a lot to stop it from moving, but I guess I'll find that out soon enough.

-----

It's quite obvious that damage like this can't be repaired, so the bike will be stripped and most of the components will be used on ... ermm ... my 729 perhaps?
Looking at the component numbers, it appears to be the complete 1993 Deore XT kit and fairly low mileage as well. I suspect that a proper cleaning will do miracles.

TBH I'm happy I bought it, as the components are in good condition and I can use the rear shock on the prototype frame (which will arrive in a few days).
On the other hand ... this is the first full suspension Sbike I've seen in real life, and I can't ride it. :cry:

Attachments

• P2070070m.jpg
    P2070070m.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 122
  • P2070071m.jpg
    P2070071m.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 122
  • P2070069m.jpg
    P2070069m.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 123
  • P2070008m.jpg
    P2070008m.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 123
  • P2070009m.jpg
    P2070009m.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 123
Sticking a long seatpost in should hold it together long enough to try it out :)

What metal is it? Could you get the top section re-made onto a wider seattube and weld it over the remaining part? you'd need to match the original internal diameter at the top of the new part. Just seems a shame to throw the frame away, it's lovely.

Even if I put the seatpost back in, it won't be the same as a proper Sbike fully, so there's no point in trying that.

As for the suggested repair, that's an option, albeit an expensive one with no guarantee. I'd rather replace the entire seat tube, but that would be even more expensive.

There are a lot of marks on the frame, but I suspect they are mostly from storage. The crankset and other drivetrain parts look like the bike hasn't done 500 miles yet. I suspect it died somewhere in the early 90s and spent the next 15+ years going from one owner to the next without being ridden.

As for fixing it, IF I spend all that money to fix it up, I need to track down a rear shock for my other Sbike, and those shocks are about as hard to find as a unicorn. So I'd rather strip it so the shock can be used on a bike that's a lot more interesting (not to mention rare).

Right ...

I decided to put everything together so I could take one last picture of the bike ... and the rear wheel won't go in. The dropouts are 123mm apart. If I can't get that straightened out, there's no point in keeping the swingarm either.

Looks like the courier didn't pay much attention to the "fragile" label on the box. :roll:
I just hope the other frame doesn't arrive like that. Really getting nervous now.

hi

What is going on guys. On ebay auction there was a information abou this demage.. No hide demages by me, dont shame me please. I informed about this every buyer...

That is both heartbreaking and shameful. Looks like people need to give this dtibikes fella a very wide berth. Never liked his ads anyway (nightmare to view on my iPhone!).

Re: hi

ditbicykles":10l1jg9q said:
What is going on guys. On ebay auction there was a information abou this demage.. No hide demages by me, dont shame me please. I informed about this every buyer...

I'm not blaming you, ditbicycles. I was well aware that the frame was broken. In fact I was pretty pleased with how well it was packaged, especially considering that it was a broken bike. As I said in the first post, I wish that everyone would do such a nice job.

I really started the topic to show that even broken parts deserve proper packaging. So it was a positive thing really. I'm sorry if you thought it was an attempt to blame or shame you.
The bike was exactly as you described, and I was well aware of its condition when I bought it. So no complaints whatsoever.

I've since stripped the bike down, and will be using the parts on 2 of my other Sbikes.

@ SouthCoastRetro : The bike was advertised as "for spares or not working", the damage was clearly shown in the pictures and it was mentioned in the description as well. So he was fair in the listing.
No reason to avoid ditbicycles' auctions. I'm pretty pleased with his honesty and the way it was sent. Based on my experience with ditbicycles, I can only recommend him.

Re: hi

Raging_Bulls":1y0w4y0f said:
Based on my experience with ditbicycles, I can only recommend him.

+1

I have had many successful transactions with Dawid and have always found his product to be well packaged and very well priced. His english is not strong and he sometimes comes across a bit more blunt than he means to.

Just reading the other thread, not sure why I'm posting here :) Irrespective of any insurance cover, the courier can't be expected to pick up the bill. SO easily avoided

I've had a few things delivered in tatty cardboard boxes, like the OP said, it sends shivers down the spine. I bought a night vision scope from the russian enclave Belarus. That arrived rattling around in a box with no other packing, my heart sunk when I shook it around and it thudded from one side to the other!! Luckily it was military spec & turned out it was absolutely fine.

Can't understand how rare / desirable items get this lack of care, winding up being worth less than the cardboard it's packed in.

One point that may be worth researching - some couriers will refuse poorly packaged items & I've been able to organise the courier as a buyer & this is a good combo, reducing the risk of having stuff mutilated by warehouse oiks..

Back