On One Inbred - Good as an XC / Everyday rigid?

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Thoughts?

I was thinking of the V-Brake version. Just how good a ride are they?

Would it be a better ride than a 1999 Kona Explosif Reynolds 853 ?

The inbred was a very cheap frame, I had an early one in around 2004-ish and riding around Cornwall, it was a bit naff

The inbred was a very cheap frame, I had an early one in around 2004-ish and riding around Cornwall, it was a bit naff

Thanks The Cheese, I think I'll leave this post here as I'm 100% confident in your opinion my old friend. Reynolds 853 'till I die.

The above is a fair comparison, they are similar to a mid-range Kona frame, nothing special but does the job fine. A good winter bike.

funny enough I love mine and still ride it.
there was no other bike on the market that offered the ride it did for the price, they sold like crazy across 14+ years with numerous iterations and tubesets (later DN6 frames were good, early 853 frames were good, the bit in the middle is unknown really). Yes it was a cheap frame when everybody else to was selling similar for a lot more money Planet X went with the buy in huge quantities and sell it cheaper approach and it worked. Unlike a lot of offerings they did design it rather than buying off the peg and took huge influnce from Brant Richards and his approach to bike design (Rragley).

mine has been my do everything bike for a long time now, it's been rigid, 100mm and 140mm travel in it's time, it's had panniers for winter and it's run 2.4's for summer fun. long stem arse up XC and now short stem wide bars for trail duties.

they aren't going to rock the world, but I doubt you'd get much better for the money.

I think looking on evilbay at the range (currently only 18 bikes on there) of riding the frame has been put to would suggest it's a worthwhile punt really.

buy one, you might love it, it's obvious that a lot of people do. :)

I had one of the first 853 versions and it was a lovely bike to ride. Only bike I regret selling.

I had one as a commuter/do everything bike for nearly a decade before the bottom bracket rusted out. Good riding position, solid reliable bike - that will likely become a classic at some point (there were so many around in the 2000s that people are bound to get nostalgic about them), but definitely nowt special. The Tinbreds got amazing reviews IIRC - and I think they are potentially a great investment.

Oh dear, oh dear oh dear <hides face in hands>

Not my finest hour but it was 12 years ago when I was young and restless

Back