Older full suspension frames

lawson

Retro Guru
I have posted in the wanted section for a Trek Y frame. Its only been a day or two and ive had no reponses. This isnt why im posting here though.

It got me thinking whether or not these older frames are still around anymore?
They rarely appear on ebay, and you never see them being ridden, so.....where are they?

I would dearly love to get my mitts on another, but i really don't know where to start.

Who hoards these relics of yester year?

old full suspension bikes

i'm really going to play the devils advocate here and maybe upset a few people...do you think the issue is that some of the early full suspension bikes ...(i dont even want to say it...)....weren't very good(too heavy - too unwieldly) ? or is it more that they have become a collectors item rather than an everyday bike?

i've added a picture of my early full suspension bike ..that has been canabalised and has been in the loft for ...a decade or so...*(heresy i know)

Attachments

• retro sbike.jpg
    retro sbike.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,973
Ive got an RTS, an LTS and Im starting on LTS no 2. Theyre so good to ride Im surprised they were sold... People are probably still riding them!

Seriously tho, Full Sus requires lots of care and the technology moved quickly, so Its no surprise that when things broke or needed a lot of maintinence, they were binned for the next big thing...

While we are on the subject, where have all the Orange X1's gone tho!!!!

(And I dont mean to sound like a pessamist, but my mate's Alu Y bikes cracked a lot..)

Oh, i fully agree on the "Possibly not that great!" trail of thought, its just i very much loved the nature of the URT on the Trek Y Bikes.

After my Trek Y11, i had a series of other brand full suspension bikes inc

1. First gen Marin MountVision - quite liked this - good climber!
2. Specialized FSR Elite 1998 - Loved this - boxxers-betd link - great descender and super active all of the time!
3. Marin WolfRidge 2001 - Bomber 66's DHX air shock etc - Bloody hated it!

and now im on a Trek Fuel EX8 2009 - Weighs sub 27lbs and is the best full suspension bike ive ever owned. Makes you want to ride harder and faster!

Yes, things have clearly moved on for the better in terms of design, so with that in mind, why do I want a 1990's Trek again?

I have to put it down to nostalgia.

my LBS has a trek y frame hanging up at the back, not managed to get a definate price out of them yet.

old full suspension bikes

i definately agree with the nostalgia thing...thats what has got me all misty eyed and onto this site...i was in london a few weeks ago when a guy rode past me on an immaculate rc200 with slicks on , a pair of rc30's on the front - ringle skewers..it just looked the bomb(and just like the one i used to own) ..and it made me get searching to replace the bikes i sold years ago !! (havent managed to get another rc200 but have bought an rc300 to get me back in the saddle !!)

i wish you happy hunting

Back