OK - How original to keep it?

marky2484

Senior Retro Guru
You know the sort of thing, you've got your hands on a pretty straight old bike, grips , tyres etc knackered. Track down originals, and re-install , go for readily available " looks quite like" items ? And what about stickers on frame from original seller ( bike shop) - part of the bikes period charm, or unoriginal junk to be removed ASAP? Polish all alloys parts to within an inch of perfection -or leave a bit of patina?

Mark :?

As far as the store stickers go sometimes yes, sometimes no, it depends where they put them and what store. If I know them (and like them) I'll probably leave it on, because at some point the bike will be back there for a visit while riding and the originality factor weighs in too... My Koa came with it pasted to the side of the down tube, right in the middle. Horrible.

In the case of my current build I'm trying to source a nos store sticker, from where I bought my bikes as a youngster. I think they think I'm crazy. In fact the store owned has an original hei hei. I think he understands.

Really depends on the what you are working with.

e.g. I have a 94 kona cindercone which is pretty much original down to the tyres and shop sticker. Now its not perfect but I think its amazing that the whole bike is still original after 15 years and however many owners, and while it isn't the greatest spec it is all original and I think its earned the patina is has in the last 15 years of what must have been relatively light use. Sure I could get it back to showroom finish but I think I prefer it to look its age. That's my $0.02 :)

Personally I cant see the point of restoring something factory fresh if you actually intend to use it ...... keep it working and useable and it will give you miles of fun ..... :D

Re. the shop stickers - at least older bikes only tended to get that one extra piece of decoration. This is in contrast to the modern bikes with shop stickers, warning labels, size/fit decals, etc.

Keep it as shiny as you can bear to keep it in regards to the rest of the bike.

to restore or not to restore

I am with andrewl on this one I think.
I would love to repaint my old 94 Stumpjumper into a bright crisp shiny white like Kaisers, new decals etc but.....but it just doesnt sit right, dont really know why :roll:
It could certainly do with a paint as its pretty rubbed and scratched and it is that blood red colour, not the bright team red but the really dark one. I must admit I havnt put it back together recently as I toy with the idea of painting it, only to change my mind. I wish it wasnt so scratched etc but it rides like a dream and fits like a glove and most time I think the condition reflects its history and character. I also worry I will baby it if its all new looking and shiny :?
Thanks, I think I just answered my own question.
Keep it with its scars and history (even if to the outside world its just a scruffy bike) and ride it, thats what counts.
Forgive the madness

Jamie

As a retirement present for my GT, I've sourced just about everything it had when it was new.

BUT - I never got on with MAG21s or the naff XT STi so instead I've gone with the 'must have' stuff of the day - Tange Switchblades, XT thumbies and a new as dammit complete M730 series XT groupset.

The original stickers are a headache - It should have 1993 decals but I rather like the later ones I fitted....

So, now it will never be original! :D :D

mtbfix":3f5e8o1b said:
Re. the shop stickers - at least older bikes only tended to get that one extra piece of decoration. This is in contrast to the modern bikes with shop stickers, warning labels, size/fit decals, etc.

My old cindercone still has the made in taiwan and whatever BS standard it is on it

I recently built up a Marin Team Issue as it was new and thoroughly enjoyed finding all the parts.
In fact still looking for one tiny part to finish it off,at least it takes all the decision out of what to use and provides hours of fun locating the bits

As ever its not that cheap though

Back