Official recommended or not paint-shop thread.

bikenut2010":1t3zxy7b said:
are there issue with decals not adhering to powder coated frames? also can you get pearlescent finishes in powder coat?

No issues for decals to adhere, that i'm aware of.

I've asked about pearlescent at LSN and a big NO was the answer! maybe others may do it but the pearl is achieved by multi-layer coats. This goes against the application of powder coating. I'ts a weird magnetic attraction thing, the way the powder is applied.

If you sus out a coater that does pearl, let us know!

cheers.

marc two tone":2daku8vy said:
bikenut2010":2daku8vy said:
are there issue with decals not adhering to powder coated frames? also can you get pearlescent finishes in powder coat?

No issues for decals to adhere, that i'm aware of.

I've asked about pearlescent at LSN and a big NO was the answer! maybe others may do it but the pearl is achieved by multi-layer coats. This goes against the application of powder coating. I'ts a weird magnetic attraction thing, the way the powder is applied.

If you sus out a coater that does pearl, let us know!

cheers.

Ah OK, there's a thing on the H Lloyd website warning about powder coats and adhesion from some finishers http://www.hlloydcycles.com/page3.htm

I want to achieve this ( img ) and I think it's a pearl?

Attachments

• colnago-19860015.jpg
    colnago-19860015.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 808
My "unknown" frame fresh back from the Hendersons of Edinburgh today. Really pleased with it! Just wish I knew what it was originally...

bikenut2010":fzrx9kpb said:

Depends exactly what you're looking for with pearlescent, but my Karakoram Elite I had powdercoated at Triple S has a kind of chameleon finish, in that dead on it looks blue, but fades to black at an angle. Very hard to capture in a picture though and not particularly cheap (but did a fantastic job on it).

If anyone wants any paint stripping done by chemical dip, then I can heartily recommend the guys at

Wood Strip
16-18 Commercial Rd
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
WV1 3QS

O19O2 45O88O

They did a Zaskar that I've got last week. It had been badly painted years ago, and I wanted to go back to the original finish so blasting was a no-no.

Came back looking like this:

To give an idea how easy it was to get to polished finish from the 'as dipped' finish here is a bit I made a start on.

They're not really set up to be posting frames back and forth, but if you're in the midlands then they're worth the trip. Cheap too. £15 to strip that ^^ frame, a stem, and a seat post.

So my frame has come back with numerous issues and the powdercoaters wont do a thing about it.

They are ICS Powdercoaters in Collumpton.

So p**sed off with them.

[/quote]

As well as failing to mask off bottom bracket very well, or rear brake dropouts, the paint is also patchy, from very thick to barely covering the metal.

I had a frame done before from them and they were good. There attitude at remedying the situation was that they are cheap and mistakes happen. They haven't offered any resolution in terms of sorting the job or getting a refund, in fact they refused when I suggested I take it back (30 miles trip there and back).

And I dropped the bike off with everything fully masked and with a donor bottom bracket in as well so the thread issue wouldn't arise :facepalm:

I took my Cannondale 3.0 series to 1st Choice Finishes in Exeter,who did my Clockwork earlier this year for £50 and was quoted £84 so I walked.I picked out the comment that ICS at Cullompton were cheaper and despite the reported problem gave them a try.They shot blasted and powder coated my frame for £48 and there were very few issues.Paint was thin enough that you can still just make out the frame number and the only real issue was that they had painted the (masked by me) crown race on the forks.

I think this points out one of the problems with this thread.My reported problem with Revill and the previous post about ICS were more about how the companies dealt or not with problems,rather than the general quality of their work.When I owned my own company I just accepted that occasionally something went wrong and always fixed the problem,even if I lost money on individual jobs.Some companies seem unable to take a wider long term view and try to evade their responsibilities.A very British disease?

Glad you had a good experience. I agree 100% with what you say too. If that had fixed any of my issues I wouldnt have mentioned them by name, but the fact they told me they agreed it was poor but wouldnt repair/refund or repaint was terrible service.

Back