Not vintage or French Tourers/Campeurs, Trade/Porteurs, Audax/Randonneurs, Commuters/Town

@dbwheels - that is lovely, and a coincidence in timing too!

I'm struggling with French chainsets at the moment, and hit a problem. I've noted that mostly those Simplex rings are fitted to Durax, Duprat, Nervar or Solida cranks. I think there were two or three model Duprat cranks, Prossional and Universal but I don't know what the difference is.

In your set-up above, what is the clearance like between the DS crank arm and the front derailleur cage?

@dbwheels - that is lovely, and a coincidence in timing too!

I'm struggling with French chainsets at the moment, and hit a problem. I've noted that mostly those Simplex rings are fitted to Durax, Duprat, Nervar or Solida cranks. I think there were two or three model Duprat cranks, Prossional and Universal but I don't know what the difference is.

In your set-up above, what is the clearance like between the DS crank arm and the front derailleur cage?
These are Duprat Universal model with a stamped steel spider. I believe that the Professional model had a pressed on cast spider. There was an earlier version with very slim arms which were drilled hollow and an integral cast spider.

The Simplex rings and adapter arms fit all 3 arm 116mm BCD cranks although the bolting details and spider arm thickness may dictate the chain line somewhat.

With this Grand Sport FD, I still have approx 3mm clearance between the cage and arm with the FD in its outermost position.

The thing that I find difficult is finding cottered axles that have a proper length , spacing left and right, bearing shoulder location and aren't totally knackered 🥴

Many thanks for a prompt reply and actual measurements. I much prefer that with flutes than the Solida I have 👍

The problem I have his here with a very early Stronglight crank set (I suspect it was designed for a single ring really):

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/early-50s-la-gazelle-eau-de-nil-🛠️-the-merlot-aftermath-🍷.450638/post-3419553

It's a nightmare sourcing things, getting the details and learning what works.
Here are some shots detailing the space between the outer ring face and back face of crank arm, the space between cage and arm at outermost FD position and a detail of how the rings are fit.
IMG_20230521_222752.jpg
IMG_20230521_222822.jpg
IMG_20230521_222636.jpg

Back