Not vintage or French Tourers/Campeurs, Trade/Porteurs, Audax/Randonneurs, Commuters/Town

These are some beautiful specimen, but they do all have the angles of a postman's bike. The French stuff is a lot more "modern" mostly. For lack of a better word.
Yes agreed 1930s British bikes have very slack angles. The French mastered the touring bike before we did for sure. There was a French article wondering why we (The English) insist on having heavy luggage high up when we could use "their" panniers.

E.F Russ. Not with the Russ bend fork for which he was known. The bars are unusual and interesting. I thought were Lauterwasser pattern but they don't extend so far on the flat portion of the bar, Brown brothers 1939 catalogue shows the closest I can find which is the Highgate. A very well equipped and sought after bike. E.F Russ 1.jpg E.F Russ 2.jpg E.F Russ 3.jpg E.F Russ 5.jpg E.F Russ 11.jpg E.F Russ 12.jpg E.F Russ 13.jpg E.F Russ 14.jpg E.F Russ 17.jpg Brown Brothers 1939150.jpg sought after bike.

Art Stump. An American engineer turned frame builder, his work is exemplary. I have tried to find better pictures but to no avail, hang on to your hats. Allegedly 1000 man hours in each frame.

Not my text.

In 1937 Bugatti designed a very unique, space-frame, bicycle which was never produced. The drawings for this bicycle were provided to Californian Art Stump in the 1970s by a noted English Bugatti collector who commissioned him to build a bicycle based on the drawings. Art Stump built one for that collector, and one for himself as well. A source tells me, "Art probably updated the design somewhat from the Bugatti drawings I have seen, going with steeper angles. Art had a drafting table, so redrawing a bike and figuring out the missing details would not be that hard to do. Note that the Stump Bugatti uses Art Stump's cast rear dropouts, elegant but a bit thin."

Art Stump Bugatti bike1.jpg Art Stump Bugatti bike2.jpg Art Stump Bugatti bike3.jpg Art Stump Bugatti bike4.jpg Art Stump Bugatti bike5.jpg Art Stump Bugatti bike6.jpg Art Stump Bugatti bike7.jpg Art Stump Bugatti bike8.jpg Art Stump Bugatti bike9.jpg Art Stump Bugatti bike10.jpg

Latest posts

Back