Not everyones cup of tea, but show us your retro HOTRODS!

I have 5!

Five variations on the hot rod theme...I'll only hit the most interesting though...

First the Beast, where you have to look to find the modern stuff...SRAM 990 9 speed, XT 9 speed hub body on the old style hubs, Paul Thumbies with Dura Ace 9 speed shifters, 9 spd rings on the NOS Turbines. Bike looks like 100% retro, but it has a fully modernized drivetrain... :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_3261.jpg
    IMG_3261.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,035
  • IMG_3269.jpg
    IMG_3269.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,035
  • IMG_3260.jpg
    IMG_3260.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,035
Lovin' some of this!

Both my current rides are 'hot rods'.

My Sunn is wearing cranks from 96 and avid discs from yesterday morning!

This is what retro biking is all about to me. :D

Al. shagged back but i make up for it with a fantstic front! :roll:

EWR

This is the 2008 frame, so obviously it's got modern parts on it, for the most part anyway. Still has SDG Kevlar saddle, Altek levers, and Mavic 217 rims. Everything else is modern. Rock Shox Revelation, King HS, Shimano XT hubs, Easton Carbon bar, Race Face Atlas cranks, Thomson stuff, Sram XO and Avid BB7s

My buddy's Bengal orange EWR is on the right, sporting a darn fancy Maverick SC32...and of course an SDG seat from me. :cool: Both of these frames are from the first run of re-released EWRs, with the original style lettering.

What else would I ride as a modern bike, but a modern bike that looks like a retro bike! :cool: :D

Attachments

• IMG_3031.jpg
    IMG_3031.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 1,023
And my rigid Titanium, a 2001 frame but built up with a combo of retro and modern parts. Essentially a bike assembled from my list of favorite things. As much as I love my EWRs, as I get older, bikes like this really begin to speak to me.

Neat also to have folks on the trail actually ask me if I'm going to follow them on some 'harder' sections, with my rigid bike. Uh, yeah...what do you want me to do, wear it like a hat and run along beside you? :p Of course I'm gonna ride it! :D

Retro bits here...SDG (again!), Alteks (again!), Deore DX short cage, (again!), Race Face Turbines (again!), and Mavic 217 Sunset rims (aagain!)...also wears a Sachs Attack twist shifter, Ritchey Z-Max's, and a snappy Control Tech stem that matches the Kona fork finish very well. A very fun bike.

Attachments

• IMG_3344small.JPG
    IMG_3344small.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,014
  • IMG_3345small.JPG
    IMG_3345small.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,014
neilll":3jekan95 said:
>>>>Jedi Mind Trick<<<< ""These are not the EWR's you want to keep.......sell me one NOW!" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL:

OK, I wasn't going to put up this last post, but just to be mean... :p :cool: :D

some trail pics of the 2008...

and then 2 of the 1994 EWR, New stuff here includes Saint cranks, Race Face Atlas bottom bracket, Diabolus bars and post, Thomson, gold King HS, and the fork... some heavy Marzocchi coil unit. Retro goodness here, Alteks (again!!), SDG (again!), Deore DX hubs (again!) with Surly Singleator bolt on hub conversion.

As you can probably guess, I dig the look and feel of the older stuff, but if new stuff is truly better, then I'll give it a run on any bike I own. Bikes should look the period they come from, but in the end, unless you're building up something like amybrooks carbon Yeti, with some real history to it, going full bore retro is just kind of goofy. :D

Attachments

• untitledsmall.JPG
    untitledsmall.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 992
  • IMG_3093small.JPG
    IMG_3093small.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 992
  • IMG_2172small.JPG
    IMG_2172small.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 992
  • IMG_2157.jpg
    IMG_2157.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 992
utahdog2003":165h3nzp said:
OK, I wasn't going to put up this last post, but just to be mean... :p :cool: :D

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm EWR's :LOL:

homer.jpg

At last a thread for me to post my bike on. Its too shit for it's own thread, but I've lavished too much love on it to stick it into the work bikes thread.

My pride and joy is a Trek 1991 (I think) 8500. Bought for 10.99 of t'bay.
It was a bit of a random purchase, but I was inspired by my first, ahem, only mountain bike - a trek 930 bought that same year.
Paint job is brilliant old school mountain bike squiggles and I removed all the decals except the main one and painted back over, to keep as much of the squiggles as possible.
I was going to remove the main downtube sticker as well, but then noticed the colours matched perfectly the blue grips I had just bought.

Its a stealth build partly dictated by cost and partly because I didn't want it to look nickworth.
Its a random assortment of bits, eg Ringle Moby seatpost and Ti Control Tech skewers, Ultegra road mech, Deore crank and random riser bars.
Its got a single chain ring up front, which means I mostly use it as a single speed, as its the only way to garuntee the chain won't come off. I am working on that.
The wheels are a work in progress after the xt hubs I had died a sudden and total death.
It's lovely and light and I love the fat back and thin front slick.
Anyway, below is said bike. Don't think it will blow anybody's minds, but I love it.

3463460600_10f2946df9_o.jpg

3463459400_d7f165f378_o.jpg

3463456798_352781baa0_o.jpg

That is a great paint job. I remember wanting one of those back in 90/91.

I will dig out a picture of my Bontrager.

Back