Nobody makes cool stuff now

SNAKEBITER

Devout Dirtbag
I was looking at the "Ringle" thread and it dawned on me that nody makes cool funky stuff now, stuff with a bit of soul and character.

The ringle bottle cages, anodised bolts, swobo wool jerseys, Rock Shox clothing etc.

It's all so sterile, or am I missing something?

No, they do, its that subjectively, its a very narrow market audience of ageing MTBers who hark back to when "things were actually cool, not how kids today think its cool... and hence manufacturers dont make stuff specifically for them/us

We were kids then, and what we thought was cool got made for us. Now the kids who ride and buy the most, get stuff made for them that they think is cool

G

Loads of custom makers make cool stuff, they just can't afford to advertise heavily as the corporates have priced them out - go search for Dean Titanium to see their forks and other bits, equally there's a whole raft of carbon builders that do very trick cranks, seatposts, bars etc. And who can forget Tune - their parts are still CNC'ed, anodised alloy and titanium.
It fact it seems that the guys who still get the 90s 'trick' thing are the same guys who still like 90s haircuts, clothes and music - the Germans.

Loads of cool stuff is made but your a Retrobiker and thus only the stuff from BITD is cool, new stuff cant compare. Remove the rose tinted spectacles and cast an appreciative eye over some of the great stuff you can access via this interweb thingy ;)

K C N C

'nuff said. :cool:

Now that the age of purple and turquoise ano is over, bling has become a lot more subtle.
There still is plenty of it available, but you just need to know the right names and products.

because of the Chinese? Everything biclycle releated is made so cheap there are no unavailabled parts so the custom cool part makers have lost their niche else noboldy wants to pay 2x or 3x or 4x for something that is functionally no better?

Tune stuff is just beautiful , cranks are still 5 arm and square taper, Why are they, because there was never anything wrong with square taper thats why.

gonna build me a bike with tune cranks,hubs, stem and seatpost

Love all the tune stuff, plenty of others beautiful making manufacturers still about too.

check out posh bikes

http://poshbikes.com/

kcnc and other far east brands continue to feed the need for ano.

AEST brakes and levers are cheap i reckon and firmly on my wants list

Attachments

• tune.jpg
    tune.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 638
  • KCNC_VB6_Gold_Brake_System_V6.jpg
    KCNC_VB6_Gold_Brake_System_V6.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 638
I know I'm getting old and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be and maybe even my brain is getting addled but I always thought square taper had 4 sides (hence the square bit in the name), those cranks are hexotaper if my old eyes aren't lying to me.
Matthew

Back