No rhyme no reason just 1 Retrobike pic per post.

pOw3JjN.jpg

I vaguely remember this from back in the day (just from an ad or some article, never saw one in the wild) - was this chainstay design ever a good idea? At first look, you think "longer, for more rear end compliance", but no, that can't be it, as I see a brace welding them to the seat tube, so they're actually SHORTER - and the the BB area suffers from reduced rigidity and you get loss of pedalling energy. So... for strength?? But there's clearly more metal used than with the standard diamond frame, and there are better ways to get strength using that metal elsewhere. So what was it?

I vaguely remember this from back in the day (just from an ad or some article, never saw one in the wild) - was this chainstay design ever a good idea? At first look, you think "longer, for more rear end compliance", but no, that can't be it, as I see a brace welding them to the seat tube, so they're actually SHORTER - and the the BB area suffers from reduced rigidity and you get loss of pedalling energy. So... for strength?? But there's clearly more metal used than with the standard diamond frame, and there are better ways to get strength using that metal elsewhere. So what was it?
(by which I mean effective length, not total length, is shorter)

Back