Nishiki Ariel (I think)

yes, this is really villiger is close, besides what you mentioned about the difference, there is one more thing, this villigger uses a pivot for cantilever or vbrake, while the "eshew" frame uses X brake, which is usually used for BMX

if you look closely at the conquest frame in the catalog, there is a shape like a noodle cable path under the seat clamp
and this conquest 40 has its pivot placement also slightly raised, which indicates that this frame also uses X brake for BMX

1723369025698.jpeg
And here my frame:

1723368507287.png

Oh, got it.
Here's a couple more that might be what you've got; Villiger Arrow and Villiger Competition. They both have those curved braces between the stays. :cool:

View attachment 875177

View attachment 875175

Here's an earlier post about the Comp:

They're very close to the pic of eshew's white bike except for a few details:

(1) The cable guides for the rear brake and rear mech on the Comp are on top of the top tube, and on the Arrow they're on the right side of the top tube, but on the white bike they're on the left side of the top tube.
(2) A brace instead of a noodle for the rear brake cable guide.
(3) Maybe it's an optical illusion, but it appears there are 2 braze-on mounts for a rack on top of the left dropout on the Comp.

There are probably other details I may have overlooked.

Can you post some pics of your frame?
yes, this is really villiger is close, besides what you mentioned about the difference, there is one more thing, this villigger uses a pivot for cantilever or vbrake, while the "eshew" frame uses X brake, which is usually used for BMX

if you look closely at the conquest frame in the catalog, there is a shape like a noodle cable path under the seat clamp
and this conquest 40 has its pivot placement also slightly raised, which indicates that this frame also uses X brake for BMX

1723369025698.jpeg

And here my frame:

1723368507287.png

this is an old thread, not sure if all users are still around.
Just found your post also interesting because I do own a Redline Conquest 45 from 1991.
Here are some pictures

This 45 seems to be younger than the mentioned 40...
Just wanted to let you know that the 45 was very likely produced by Anlen in Taiwan, it's identical to the Anlen Sabel, second series.
It also had a lot of parts also used for Gary Fisher bikes or even labeled Gary Fisher, as this was the time Anlen owned and has produced also Gary Fisher bikes.

Long story short, maybe the Conquest 40 and your bike had been also manufactured from Anlen?

BTW: do you have more pictures from the Redline catalog or brochure? Is it labeled 1990 or earlier?
oh !! do you have full version of this brochure sir?

Attachments

• Redline conquest 45 catalog 1991.jpg
    Redline conquest 45 catalog 1991.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 3
oh !! do you have full version of this brochure sir?
sure, just realized it's the one also included in the ebay pictures, and where you found the picture of the conquest 40 frame set, it's called "ninety one", for 1991.
I've uploaded it now to the archive.
As there is no "Redline" section yet in the new archive, but a a few more Redline brochures stranded for now in the incoming archive

also the 1992 BMX is there, it includes also a picture of MTB framesets with another similar frame
Redline Framesets 1992.jpg
Just the quality of the scans is lagging, I personally can almost not read a single word.

Last edited:
Let me post also a pic of the Redline ECS model for 1990, it was called Forty For (44), without braces between the chain and seat stays
Redline 44 FortyFor 1990 Ad Kalihalde.jpg

and one for the Anlen Sabel for 1991
Anlen Sabel wie Redline usw.jpg
same one sold as Centurion
Centurion wie Anlen Sable.jpg
the same one in an anlen ad from the year before 1990,
Anlen Ad aus Bike 5 1990.jpg
without braces, and without or an smaller reinforcement bracing between head tube and lower tube.

To me, there are a lot of small differences, especially related to the braces between the chain and seat stays, or if there are at all some.
Also downtube (if completely straight or not) cantilever / U-brake sockets or cable routing differs.

Still almost all bikes mentioned or shown here, like Redline, Nishiki, Villiger, Centurion look in many ways very close, too close to not to been produced by one and the same factory... Maybe at Anlen in TW?

Last edited:
Back