Wanted Nice 27x1.25 wheelset

mr-mac

Retro Guru
Anyone got a nice 27x1.25 wheelset for sale?

5/6speed so assume 120 rear hub is safe bet.

Must be able to post as I am in Leuchars and generally nobody is near me lol.

For my mums 531 frame bike I built but wheels were never the best and the bearings are a bit rough anyway so decided good time for a better set and can always find parts to fix bearings for a spare set in my own time.

Let me know what you have and what you want for them.

If you really want nice...

and

And see your local wheelbuilder.

Even better give this bloke a shout and get him to build them for you (he can order the parts in - and he does mail order).

If you really want nice...

and

And see your local wheelbuilder.

Even better give this bloke a shout and get him to build them for you (he can order the parts in - and he does mail order).

When I say nice I just mean reasonable overall cond, reasonable quality parts. but not looking to pay same as a set of hand built brand new prices. Yes I know some classic stuff can be expensive but just wanted to see what’s out there for sale :)

Though it would be nice

I have a pair of wheels in the 27" size, although would have to check if the width would be 1/4" or 1/8". Also, not too sure if they'd be a matched pair, so possibly not for you if you're looking for each wheel having the same rims and hubs. Also, when the 27" wheels were popular very often the better quality ones had alloy rims, some of the steel rims were still ok but what preference have you got? I'm sure I have a few different ones in alloy and steel.

I have a pair of wheels in the 27" size, although would have to check if the width would be 1/4" or 1/8". Also, not too sure if they'd be a matched pair, so possibly not for you if you're looking for each wheel having the same rims and hubs. Also, when the 27" wheels were popular very often the better quality ones had alloy rims, some of the steel rims were still ok but what preference have you got? I'm sure I have a few different ones in alloy and steel.

Don’t specifically have to be a matching pair as long as they look reasonable together, have nice bearings and are generally in reasonable condition. Defo after alloy rims.

Thanks

OK, I've been able to find one of the wheels I was thinking of for your needs. I've attached some pics below. The second wheel I have yet to find is similar in looks and condition so the pics should give you an idea of what to expect until it turns up. It has a Weinmann 1 1/4" rim in alloy. The hub is nice too- looks to be a Gnutti Airone one although most of the chrome on the centre barrel is missing so not too easy to make out the branding stamped on. The rim looks virtually unused and I've checked the hub bearings internally and they look pretty mint. BTW the cones are Campagnolo branded as I believe Gnutti made their hubs and the two companies shared the work involved, this being common practice when two big companies from the same country were making similar stuff during the same time period. Another thing to mention is the hubs have no skewers but for an extra charge I can provide Campag ones from the same time period if you require. I can work out a price for both wheels once the second one turns up, obviously they're not as basic as the wheels I mentioined above but that was because I wasn't too sure what I had. I may have some cheaper wheels with alloy rims and Maillard (etc) hubs but would have to check whilst I was looking for the second wheel that is similar to the below one.

Would that thread on a these hubs be same as a Suntour freewheel. May be a silly question but not done much with 27” wheels. Maybe pm me with what kinda price you’d be thinking if other wheel is of similar quality that way I can see if we are in same ballpark without you needing to hunt too much. Many thanks

Would that thread on a these hubs be same as a Suntour freewheel. May be a silly question but not done much with 27” wheels. Maybe pm me with what kinda price you’d be thinking if other wheel is of similar quality that way I can see if we are in same ballpark without you needing to hunt too much. Many thanks
Sure, just PM'd you now. Edit: I forgot to mention in the PM that I tried fitting a Suntour block to the wheel and it screwed on without issue (assume you were concerned the hub could have had Italian threads due to being Italian made and vintage).

Back