Newbie's tales of a Kona Explosif 1992 and why i'm here.

CADDYMATT1380

Dirt Disciple
My story and post number 1. Hi all by the way.

When I were a wee lad, I saved up all my pennies and brought myself a 1992 Kona Explosif. I did thid whilst earning £11 a week on a morning paper round.
Anyway I kept a hold of this bike and stripped it to frame and forks as most of the components were tired and had it. I put it in my dads loft, until one day I could afford to do it up. That day arrived so I climbed into dads loft and was searcing around for it when in walked my dad. He asked what I was looking for. When I told him my old Kona he admitted to me he had thrown it away as it had gone slightly rusty. I cried.
This is why I am on this web site hoping that one day an exact bike will come up at a time when I can afford it, so once again I will be the proud owner of a 1992 explosif.

not wanting to upset you but i have a 92 explosif, i bought mine in 94 as a frame after it had been hung unsold for a while in the shop, built it with xtr and won my first ever race on it, 2 years on i sold it, just over a year ago i bought it back off the same guy :cool: almost exactly the same.

they do come up for sale quite regularly it just depends on the size you need. the 92 was gold (built with 7speed xt) and the pro version was black with a sparkle laquer(built with suntour xcpro) that's off the top of my head though.

welcome by the way :)

And if ye dinnae find an explosif, ye will be tempted by love for some other metallic hussy very soon.........'tis the way of the RetroBIKE!! :p

Well I hope your father will have the decency to foot the bill when you find one. 1992 Explosifs aren't all that rare, a reasonable condition frame should cost you c£100. Gold was the standard colour, but all Konas were available in black that year, and that seems to have been slightly the more popular option.

Attachments

• 1992 Explosif size 18 black option.jpg
    1992 Explosif size 18 black option.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 2,343
  • 1992 Explosif size 18 w Racing Ralphs.jpg
    1992 Explosif size 18 w Racing Ralphs.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 2,343
Re:

Mine was exactly the same as the black one. It was stunning and rode so well.
Mine was black but not a pro.

Attachments

• L1001002.jpg
    L1001002.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 652
Back