Newbie with Gt Zaskar.

bigdaz67

Retro Newbie
Hi all i've just discovered this site
i have A Zaskar le that i built from a new frame around 95,
I used to do a bit of fun racing around the Surrey and Berks area around that time and this was considered the frame to have for heavyweight tall guys like me.
its got mainly xtr stuff with Middleburn cranks control tech seatpost i beam stem and club roost bars.
the wheels are Mavic with xtr hubs. the front one was a radial laced hope hub but that broke a few years ago.
the pedals are red Shimano spds, and i still have the Nike Ngubar shoes.

I don't ride as much as i like but it gets an outing every so often.
my plan over the next few weeks is to strip it down and polish everything back up, then reassemble with period parts.
most of the components are fine but im not keen on the Quadra 21r's (couldnt stretch to Judys at the time) they work ok but im not keen on the look.
also i have the Club roost Go bars and im undecided about going back to straights with bar ends.
my other dilema is the saddle, it got a modern Gt saddle on it at the moment as the Yellow Flite got scuffed in a Jumping incident :D not sure whether to stay with comfort or find find another flite.

last but not least the tyres, i used to have Butterscotch wildgrippers ( to go with my Yellow theme) but they perished a long time ago. anyone know if there any about ?

Re:

Welcome to the forum.

I did a similar build at around the same time.

Forks, I have Marzocchi XC700's which work really well, but are a bit hard to find, another alternative would be Pace RC35's, I couldn't afford these back then, or they would have been my first choice, or you could fit the Judy's you always wanted to.

Saddles; Flite didn't suit me back then... and still don't, at least not on an mtb. If your were happy with one back then, chances are the same applies. An alternative would be the Charge Spoon or Madison Flux, they are both pretty much the same, are cheap, comfy and plentiful.

Tyres; retro tyres are a bit of a mine field, you can still pickup the old rubber, second hand or NOS, but it is 20 years old and depending on brand can be really expensive. Personally I run new tyres, as although they are not tan walled, they work well. Plus, by 1997, the tan walled stuff was starting to disappear. Modern tan walled tyres are pretty much confined to repro Smoke / Dart, which cost a bomb, or Charge Splashnbacks, which work pretty well, but not in all conditions.

Post a few pictures, we just lurve them pichurs on RB.

Re:

Doesn't need much does it :)
Looking at that pic with the red Panaracer fire on the back, and thinking of your tyre conundrum - I run Panaracer fire XC pro on one of my bikes in the winter. Still available new for reasonable money and work really well IMO in the cruddy stuff.
Not so good in the summer though.

Back