Newbie to the site

bikesnoopy

Old School Hero
Hi all. . . just stumbled accross this site following a conversation with a chap riding an early 90's Marin at Ashton Court a couple of weeks ago.
Im currently building a 97 Zaskar LE for single speed racing, so found this site very interesting, as im constantly looking for bits.
Ive been into mtbs since the early 90's and have raced all over the UK and Europe in both crosscountry & downhill. I also had a mountain bike shop in the mid 90s - early 00's.
Well, there you go. . . thats me! :D

Hello and welcome to retrobike.

I'm sure you'll fit right in around here but one word of advice cut up your credit cards now as this place can be very adictive ;)

Which shop did you used to run? I'm sure you'll find there are people in here that used to frequent it.

Chris.

My shop was called Mister Bike & was in Ilfracombe, North Devon.
We had a bit of a downhill team in the late 90's, which was involved with Giant & TDR (Tricky Dicky Racing).

I have 2 daughters who also raced downhill at National level - both multiple NPS winners from around 1996 - 2001.

Anyone remember them - Toots Fitch who rode for Giant, on the first of the factory ATX Ones & Becci Fitch who rode for Dawes/Maneater/Girls Luv Dirt in the first UK all female Downhill team?

Welcome. Am building a 1997 zaskar myself (see sig) although not what you have planned I am sure :LOL:

You'll like this site I'm sure. Helpful and addictive!

Im trying to get the S?S Zaskar finished in time for the Ritchey Oktoberfest at Ashton Court next month, as im doing the single speed enduro. If its not done, ill be in the "normal" race on my Dirty Jo.
Just need a few more bits. . . :roll:

bikesnoopy":tt5k8baa said:
Im trying to get the S?S Zaskar finished in time for the Ritchey Oktoberfest at Ashton Court next month, as im doing the single speed enduro. If its not done, ill be in the "normal" race on my Dirty Jo.
Just need a few more bits. . . :roll:

What do you need? Put a wanted ad up. Sure someone can help you out.

The main thing is forks. . . i want some cheap cro-mo non disc affairs, just to get it up & running so i have some in reserve - but ultimately something droolworthy like Pace RC or even a pair of Project 2's would get me rolling nicely.

Its a budget bike & im doing the race for sponsorship for my partner who has cancer, so i need cheap ! :D

Also need a rear wheel, 27.2 seatpost, L/H crank (i have a drive side crank & spider) 32 or 34T 4 bolt chainring. I think i have most of the rest. . .

bikesnoopy":1qua6eql said:
My shop was called Mister Bike & was in Ilfracombe, North Devon.
We had a bit of a downhill team in the late 90's, which was involved with Giant & TDR (Tricky Dicky Racing).

I have 2 daughters who also raced downhill at National level - both multiple NPS winners from around 1996 - 2001.

Anyone remember them - Toots Fitch who rode for Giant, on the first of the factory ATX Ones & Becci Fitch who rode for Dawes/Maneater/Girls Luv Dirt in the first UK all female Downhill team?

That must make you Dennis Fitch then?

I'm not so far from you, I'm in Torrington. I used to race XC in mid 90's. I don't think we've met but I remember reading your race reports in the NDJ.

I used to race privately and a bit for ProBike in Braunton before.... it closed (and all the rest of it)!

Like you I've only recently discovered Retro Bike, and whilst I found it when researching what market their might be for Axis Team Titanium frame I'm finding myself being drawn in.

Adrian Street

Yup, thats me. . . with one "n" though as in Denis.
Yes, Toots rode XC for Probike with Aimee Matthews until the shop folded. . . but she'd just won her first NPS Downhill, so she went to downhill where MBUK mag, then Giant took her on. . .

Back