Newbe with Saracen Kili Ultra Ti

rucky544

Retro Newbie
Hi Guys,

I thought this would be the best place to start my re-introduction to the mountain biking world :)

I was really into my mountain biking about 10 years ago and have a Saracen Kili Ultra (Titanium frame) which was used quite a lot. About 7 years ago I moved to New Zealand and left the bike here in a nice dry shed.

I am back in the UK and have recently got a kick up the arse to get back into it (a day around Coed Y Brenin on a stag do).

I am trying to decided whether to fix up the Kili or sell it and get a modern hardtail.

The Kili will need a new crank and hub to get it working ok again. Can I get this sort of thing for an old frame like this still?

What sort of money could I get for the Kili if I was to sell it? The frame is still solid (although there is a small dent in the top tube).

I am quite an agressive rider, so I am wondering if a hardcore modern bike would suit me better than a light weight cross country bike!?!

rucky544":ebte8f4s said:
The Kili will need a new crank and hub to get it working ok again. Can I get this sort of thing for an old frame like this still?
Almost certainly. Check the sale section or Ebay if you now what you need.

What sort of money could I get for the Kili if I was to sell it? The frame is still solid (although there is a small dent in the top tube).
Check Ebay and the like for prices. Or have a look in the for sale bit. Or post in the 'what's my XYZ worth' thread.

I am quite an agressive rider, so I am wondering if a hardcore modern bike would suit me better than a light weight cross country bike!?!
Nah. If it was fine before why change?

technodup":h8s7nhb4 said:
rucky544":h8s7nhb4 said:
Almost certainly. Check the sale section or Ebay if you now what you need.

Check Ebay and the like for prices. Or have a look in the for sale bit. Or post in the 'what's my XYZ worth' thread.

Nah. If it was fine before why change?

I don't really know what parts I need yet, I have to look into it more.

I have posted up on the "Whats my XYZ worth" thread.

Yes the bike was fine back when I used to ride it. But after riding a rental bike on some pretty hard trails I realised that I like having good travel in the suspension and a more chunky design. The Kili riding position is a very "out stretched" XC racing position.

Yep as above. It would be great to see some photos of it when you get a chance.

Hello and welcome too by the way.

rucky544":290d3baz said:
Yes the bike was fine back when I used to ride it. But after riding a rental bike on some pretty hard trails I realised that I like having good travel in the suspension and a more chunky design. The Kili riding position is a very "out stretched" XC racing position.
I think you just answered your own question :)

Although as this is Retrobike most will advise a retro full sus I'd imagine.

welcome

keep the saracen for retro days out and buy some new thing for the
trail park stuff

best of both worlds

Hi and welcome to retrobike!

Titanium frames tend to be quite forgiving, although nothing in comparison to a modern full suspension bike. You may find the comfort from the frame works nicely for you?

For now, as it won't cost much to do by the sounds of it, fix up the Kili and take it for a few rides with your mates to see how it goes. You'll find endless spares on here to keep it going plus stems, bars etc if you wanted to relax the position at all.

If you sold it on here in time it would be well looked after by someone. They are not that common as a bike, and high end Saracens are well liked, but with all things it's only worth what someone is willing to pay...!

So get in the garage and get fixing...! :)

The more I think about it the more I think I should keep it and get it running again.

If I remember rightly, I replaced the Bottom bracket and the crank still kept coming loose, I think that meant I needed a new crank. Does that sound right? Does anyone here know enough about this bike to help out with sizes of things I will need?

I used to know quite a bit about bikes, but have since forgotten pretty much eveything.

Don't worry, this place is where you'll find everything you need to know. :cool:

You'd probably even find someone prepared to show you how to do the job if you brought your bike round. It's a friendly crowd here, without too many of the loonies who populate most internet forums. ;)

Back