new wheel build maintenance

rocketboy2000

Devout Dirtbag
hi there,

i just had some new wheels built in the fall by my LBS. i'm gettins some wheel noise now... can i expect a spoke/true check from my LBS? am i on the hook for the cost of that usually?

thanks in advance.

Depends on what the noise is.

if it is a clicking / creaking noise then probably spokes...or it could be wheel bearings.

Any newly built wheel really needs spook ensign checking every ride, for the first dozen rides or so. In fact after building a new wheel I'd be checking and re -truing if necessary after the first half a mile, then two or there miles later.

I am surprised the wheel builder did not get you to check the wheel very soon after riding it.

Any good builder will de stress and 'flex' and laid the wheel a bit during building, but only a good few miles of riding really allows a wheel to bed in.

Wether the cost of checking it is included in the build is really up to you to discuss and check the terms probably on the invoice..with the builder...

I know when I built wheels up for customers any adjustments were free, depending on how much bike was ridden I would ask for bike to come back after a week or two, now as you said you had them built in the fall this is quite a while ago so really it is down to the individual shop owner if they will do for free, even if they charge it will only be a nominal fee.

I use to see a few recently built wheels come in where person would save money and buy out of a magazine then of course wonder after a few weeks why the wheels were not as good.

As Skyfarmer said bearings needed to be checked as well as spokes

I should have elaborated more on wheel bearings.

If they were your old hubs, if I was doing the build, first thing I would have done was at minimum, check play and tighten first if necessary, if not a full strip, clean and repack with grease. If that had been done it is probably not bearings, unless locknuts were not properly tightened. An old hub even rebuilt, has already 'bedded in '

If it was a new hub, it takes a while for it all to bed down, so it would have ideally needed checking after the first 50 miles or so.

Again, all depends on the builder, what he asked you to do in the first weeks/months of use (if he asked anything), and what you actually did.
If he said he recommended a check over after the first XYZ weeks, and you did not do it, then I'd expect he would charge .

:shock:
No well built wheel should ever need anything doing to it after its been built.
Unless you have a shoddy builder who has missed out stages, or you have chosen wildly unsuitable wheels.

Christ, even the wheels I build rarely need touching. Maybe 1 in 20 might need a tweak. (Usually if it's a rebuild of old rim/spokes)
Probably only 1 in 10 tings the first time it's used......

Ummm, unless they are now producing spokes that don't stretch or bend slightly as the elbow seats into the holes, I'd have to disagree.

Yes, good wheel building does involve loading the wheel, de stressing spokes etc, but you won't get it all fully settled till it starts bring ridden.

Wether the amount of bedding in makes a noticable difference is the big question. I'd always check my new wheel after the first few rides, just to be sure. Not saying any work will be needed, but best to be sure.

FWIW, I've found getting a copy of Roger Mussons book to be well worth it.
Lots of hints and tips for building very good wheels.

Re:

I too have that book very good indeed and I agree well built wheels should
not need touching again any spoke noise would surely be down to the wheel not being stressed correctly during the build.

Back