New pick up, Mercian Olympic 1982

BTW I'm only guessing it's an Olympic, it could be a Classic but I don't know much about Mercians so if anyone out there could advise which it is I'd be grateful.
Are Mercian helpful and could they identify the model if I send them the frame number?

BTW I'm only guessing it's an Olympic, it could be a Classic but I don't know much about Mercians so if anyone out there could advise which it is I'd be grateful.
Are Mercian helpful and could they identify the model if I send them the frame number?
They will look in the records, for a fee of £20 iirc.

Similar one here:

Fork crown looks different.

1986_brochure-457x600.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys, the fork crown on mine looks more like the Olympic than the Classic, I've emailed Mercian with the frame number so I'll see if they can be any help (without opening my wallet!).

So it's a bench full of bits now. progress 1.jpg

I don't know why but I always start by cleaning up the front wheel first!

progress 2.jpg

If everything cleans up as good it'll be a quick and cheap recommissioning.

That looks really smart and as you say shouldn't take much more than a strip grease and polish to look even better.
Mercian tend to want the £20 before parting with too much information, but they are pretty helpful all round.
The fork crown looks similar to my blue KOM. My green had a sloping Cinelli crown.
DSC_0301.JPG DSC_0298.JPG

Thanks Jamie, I suppose it depends what info Mercian can offer for the £20, if they can supply the original build sheet (if it was sold as a complete bike) it would be worth having, but I already know the frame is 1982 and that it was built by frame builder no 7 (I was speaking to ex Mercian frame builder no 10 shortly after I purchased it but he couldn't positively identify the model.)

Hi mate
Another good group is the Mercian Cycles Appreciation group on Facebook. Has a couple of the builders on there as well. Good bunch as well.
It’s a great find and am looking forward to seeing it come together.

Jamie

They will look in the records, for a fee of £20 iirc.
Robbing gits!

I went to Mercian about 7 years ago, had a dodgy Campagnolo Ergo lever, they fixed it within 15 minutes,
lever stripped down and fault found it was a spring which was broken in two, lever rebuilt up and working,
spring cost me £4.50p. Charged me £36 labour plus the spring, never felt so ripped off in my life.

I had a reply from Mercian, they said if I "bought" a search for £20 they MAY find some information on my bike.
OK, if I buy a lottery ticket I MIGHT win the lottery.
I've heard good and bad about them - a couple of good comments on here and one particularly bad one a few years ago about a guy who drove hours to drop off his frame for repainting but got held up in traffic and phoned to say he might arrive slightly after closing time - he arrived 5 minutes late and they'd all gone home.

Back