New frames, old school style

Dr S":eorpl356 said:
My modern Cotic Soul runs a fillet brazed 440mm rigid unicrown fork, flat silver bars, thumbshifters and a road mech, brooks saddle, silver middleburns, small discs, custom splatter paint and looks very retro, again without the expense of a custom frame.

Si

Well that's basically the idea (that sounds great :) ). But there aren't many frames around like that, you've gone to extra expense to have the respray done and running long rigid forks - which do look a little silly - I've got some 440 Surlys on my Charge Duster - there is clearance for a family of small rodents attached to the wheel, let alone a bit of mud!
Basically, you've summed it up with what you've got :)
It would be a bit more expensive for a custom frame but not mega money and you've got it just how you want it.

Carlos":30xj75rk said:
Dr S":30xj75rk said:
My modern Cotic Soul runs a fillet brazed 440mm rigid unicrown fork, flat silver bars, thumbshifters and a road mech, brooks saddle, silver middleburns, small discs, custom splatter paint and looks very retro, again without the expense of a custom frame.

Si

Well that's basically the idea (that sounds great :) ). But there aren't many frames around like that, you've gone to extra expense to have the respray done and running long rigid forks - which do look a little silly - I've got some 440 Surlys on my Charge Duster - there is clearance for a family of small rodents attached to the wheel, let alone a bit of mud!
Basically, you've summed it up with what you've got :)
It would be a bit more expensive for a custom frame but not mega money and you've got it just how you want it.

I can't find many photos of the Cotic, but there isn't too much space between the tyre and fork (especially when running tall 2.5 Kenda DH tyres.)

Picture024.jpg

The paint cost buttons (I did it myself and the fork was much cheaper than a suss fork). All in, the full bike probably cost less than a custom frame and fork combo.

Si

merckx":36hfbfm9 said:
zaskar re-issue frames are nice. i would like to try and obtain one, alas very hard to do so in australia...

image3.jpg

Not if your were in the right place at the right time they weren't... :cool:

My vote would be an Independent Fabrication or a Groovy cycle works , both build to order fine steel Frames to any spec you want/colour etc .\certainly not cheap , as Dr S points out you can achieve much the same end result allot cheaper

theredchili":vsoqkvfy said:
My vote would be an Independent Fabrication or a Groovy cycle works , both build to order fine steel Frames to any spec you want/colour etc .\certainly not cheap , as Dr S points out you can achieve much the same end result allot cheaper

Don't get me wrong- a custom frame built to fit and with tubes specced to its intended rider and use is always going to be fantastic compared to even the best 'off the peg' frames. I just don't get why you would want to replicate something that is already available for much less.

"Merlin do the Rock Lobster in a rather nice Reynolds 853 for a good price and you could make one of them look very pleasingly old school no problem at all. And only £299 for the frame."

Very nice and good vfm, yes, but old school? Surely not - built for 100-140mm travel.

It's the price that would be the stumbling block, I think. I'm sure that I represent a very small market, liking as I do 26" wheelers with (early) mtb clearances etc but built as "just a bike". I would like discs (washing the rims every morning after my daily ride is a cold and wet job this time of year), BUT adding mounts to one of my frames/forks plus the refinish would cost say a £120. I doubt that a new one in nice steel would come in under that price - nor would it be a big seller.

Latest posts

Back