New frames, old school style

Carlos

Old School Hero
There was a thread discussing this but I can't find it now and probably better to start another one anyway.

What do people think of potentially buying a brand new handbuilt frame but it old school geometry and finishes? Doesn't even have to be old geo actually. Could be designed around a 120-140mm fork (which could be refinished in retro colours too), or pretty much anything you want.
It could be a direct repro of a desirable old frame, or just in a retro style.
And if this was done, would you build it up with retro parts or new parts in a retro style? Say, new XT, V-brakes (or even cantic), flat bars, handbuilt wheels, coloured parts to finish ect.
I guess it depends on what you're wanting from it - a paint splatter finish would look a bit odd with discs (but very cool with new parts on IMO) as you couldn't get mainstream discs before that fashion died out but a mid to late 90's style finish may suit them.

I sell handbuilt road frames through my shop at the moment, but looking for another builder and maybe branching out into other areas - this could be a very fun one :D

So if there was interest...what styles would be of interest, how much would you be prepared to pay for a new Reynolds frame, would you just go for the frame or a complete build, and in new or retro parts?
Any ideas welcome...I'm liking the idea of this at the moment :)

orange did this a few years back with some repro clockworks

very good bikes by all accounts

Just thoughts (and maybe devil's advocate), but to quote a catch phrase "what point?"

Surely such frames in new geometry/100-140mm fork shape exist? Don't e.g. Saracen do one in reynolds? Ability to take Vs might be a useful selling point, however.

What is largely absent from the market is new frames in OLD geometry - trad Atbs if you like, which are much more versatile. They make excellent rough-stuff tourers and while relatively easily obtained THEIR limitation is that very few are built for DISCS! And forks of the right length are even more scarce. Plus of course many would-be owners are neither prepared nor able to (re) build their own.

Old style but with discs? New, but with Vs? Both pretty niche I suspect! IMO (and a marketing expert I am not) I think that you might fall between two stools here.

Interesting though!

Ive got a modern whiskeytown racer built with old syncros, xtr, x-lite etc but obviously new discs and forks.

It was available in pretty much any geometry you want although I opted for 100mm suspension correction and 853 tubing.

I love it :D

b8bbd9b9.jpg

The idea of a new frame with old geometry would apeal to me. A classic late 80's steel job but with 135mm dropouts, disc mounts etc. The old school geometry I like with the best bits of modern componentry ;)

I don't get this either. What do you meen by oldschool geometry? Super slack early eighties or mid nineties super steep? If its a traditional looking steel frame you want that can take a 100-140mm fork and discs then just buy a Cotic Soul, Genesis Alptitude, Pace 104 or Saracen. they are all great steel frames and cost less than a custom frame.
Why put V brake mounts on? If you want a steel frame with obsolete brakes, just buy an old 1990s frame.

If its oldskool paint you want, then just get any of the above frames painted.

Well the idea is that it's whatever you want.
There are a few steel frames out there now, but very much new geometry, built for big forks and disks.
I guess it'd be more 90's style as it's pointless building an 80's style frame without being able to get components that look anything like what was fitted back then. Not a huge amount has changed since '92ish, so a frame with matching painted short travel modern forks can look retro still with some small Hope disks, traditionally laced wheels, flat bars etc. but ride and weigh similar to a new bike.
Or you want a fully rigid exact replica of an old Ritchey, for example, but prefer riding a brand new frame without worrying about paying the same amount for a 20 year old frame and not knowing any of it's history.

I guess there's less interest than I thought there would be judging by the thread a couple of weeks ago. Still, I may give it a go soon and see how it comes out :)

Carlos":lb8d46ht said:
Well the idea is that it's whatever you want.
There are a few steel frames out there now, but very much new geometry, built for big forks and disks.
I guess it'd be more 90's style as it's pointless building an 80's style frame without being able to get components that look anything like what was fitted back then. Not a huge amount has changed since '92ish, so a frame with matching painted short travel modern forks can look retro still with some small Hope disks, traditionally laced wheels, flat bars etc. but ride and weigh similar to a new bike.
Or you want a fully rigid exact replica of an old Ritchey, for example, but prefer riding a brand new frame without worrying about paying the same amount for a 20 year old frame and not knowing any of it's history.

I guess there's less interest than I thought there would be judging by the thread a couple of weeks ago. Still, I may give it a go soon and see how it comes out :)

I still don't get it? i think your sentiment is right, but I can't see the point, never mind a market.

An old Ritchey is still going to be cheaper than a brand new custom built frame. Just buy an old Ritchey? Cupertino Bike shop also has a few NOS Ritchey/Mountainbikes frame and forks available for $900 left over from the Fisher/Kelly/John Finlay Scott era if you really want a brand new frameset

My modern Cotic Soul runs a fillet brazed 440mm rigid unicrown fork, flat silver bars, thumbshifters and a road mech, brooks saddle, silver middleburns, small discs, custom splatter paint and looks very retro, again without the expense of a custom frame.

Si

zaskar re-issue frames are nice. i would like to try and obtain one, alas very hard to do so in australia...

image3.jpg

Back