New forks on an old Marin

Mike

Retro Guru
Hi all

I'd be grateful of soembody could confirm or deny my understanding of replacing the forks on my 1992 Rocky Ridge for a pair of modern suspension ones.

As the headset is threaded 1 1/8" I'll need to replace it with a non-threaded (ahead?) one.

Then I'll be able to fit the new forks and new stem (models tbd).

As I'm running cantis I'd either replace them for a front disk or Vs.

Anything I've missed? What kind of travel would I be limited to on the new forks so that I don't upset the geometry. Would there be any limits to the forks I could fit i.e. to stop the crown bashing against the frame?

Cheers

Mike

to answer your original q.

For a new fork you would need

-aheadset
-aheadstem
-v or disk brake for the front with brake lever

I'd doubt the frame would be suspension corrected. A modern 80mm will muck up the handling. Anyhting more will utterly ruin it.

I'd suggest you find an older shorter travel fork (look in the classified). Something like a 60mm judy with a threaded steerer and a canti bridge would do it. No parts to replace and at 60mm the handling changes would be minimised.

Mike - how did you get on with this? I have an old Marin Muirwoods and came across your thread whilst searching for anything that might tell me whether the frame would take telescopic forks and still work/handle.

regards,

James.

John":ahhi4avr said:
I'd doubt the frame would be suspension corrected. A modern 80mm will muck up the handling. Anyhting more will utterly ruin it.

I'd suggest you find an older shorter travel fork (look in the classified). Something like a 60mm judy with a threaded steerer and a canti bridge would do it. No parts to replace and at 60mm the handling changes would be minimised.

I agree !!!
I would precise the height between the wheel axle to headset : no more 425mm for such an old frame, or prefer a rigid steel fork (390 - 400 mm).
Some 80mm Rockshox or Marzoc are around 460 mm, and your bike will seem to a "shopper" :LOL:

The better way, is to find a mag21, specialized FSX ( :cool: ) or a Sunn carbon obsyss

JamesH":q1w76l6k said:
Mike - how did you get on with this? I have an old Marin Muirwoods and came across your thread whilst searching for anything that might tell me whether the frame would take telescopic forks and still work/handle.

regards,

James.

Hi James

I haven't done anything about it yet. The above guidance seems sensible though and Mag21s come up for sale quite often, but I was looking for something modern.

Cheers

Mike

There aren't any half decent modern forks with less than 80mm travel, there are cheap tat forks under 80mm, but these are really poor forks even by retro standards.

yep, agree with all of the above. Mag forks are fine if you get the pump as well, otherwise Judy are easier to work on if you need to and with springs fitted you would be fine. Mags have slightly less travel iirc so would interfere even less with the handling.

Modern forks - fine
1992 Marin frame - fine
Combined - not fine

Back