New Colnago with mystery headset - any ideas?

MrRichardHudson

Dirt Disciple
After a long while looking for the right bike, I've just picked up this Colnago that I think is late 80s or early 90s. I've only had it a few days and have started by trying to figure out what model it is. But my question is about the mystery Stronglight headset. As you can see from the pics, it's dome shape and I have no idea what it is or what tool I would need to remove it. Any thoughts much appreciated. I've taken it to the local bike shop, but they're more set up for modern bikes, so had no idea!

I've only just joined the forum and I'm looking forward to getting involved :)

Thanks
Richard

Attachments

• calnago.jpg
    calnago.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,188
  • Stronglight-headset2.jpg
    Stronglight-headset2.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,188
Just curious but are there any clover leaves cut out of anything or pantographed onto stays or dork crown

shaun

Thanks for your responses.

Shaun - clover leaf cut out of BB, 'Colnago' top of seat stays and a clover leaf cut out at the top of down tube. It must have had a respray at some time as there isn't any chrome work.

As for the headset - yes, someone has had a go at it with a few things (hacksaw?)! So I need to track down a tool for the X94. Thank you for your help. I love this forum already :)

i would be sliding those (sachs branded?) ergos up the bars personally , it could also have never been chromed if it was a lower lever model or italian environmental rules prohibited chroming at the time (as happened in Belguim with Merckx bikes)

I like them low :) - Campag Chorus branded ergos. Thanks for the info on chrome, I didn't know that. That could help me find the correct year of the bike. Thanks.

Back