New chains and cassettes, factory grease

One persons thoughts

Its not sticking and jumping. at worst it's stiff links. Are they new old stock? What's the manufacturer date? Grease does drop out the lighter ends over time so its possible all that's left is the yhick stuff.
Yes new parts
think they are still making them now though, I have the boxes
seems fine now afterwards

One persons thoughts

Interesting thanks very much

New bike chains.

The lubricant is different on most brands, often no better than paraffin wax or similar, not usually grease per se.

Its not great, but then again, neither are many rebranded oils from small companies, or dry lube if applied wrong. As its simply too labour intensive most stores leave it on, and would be expected to replace chain pins or links if removing with modern chains.

I never care for individual pictures of a chain that has done 3k miles, as I have seen customers on new chains fresh out the pack with better chains after 3k than the guy who had it proffesionally waxed at his bike fitter after 3k, there is often no hard rule between bikes and lubes and riders, two riders with identical lubes is not a guaranteed mirror image upon wear.

In my opinion you wash and deep clean a chain at a minimum of 6 months, with at least a weekly wipe and fresh application of lube if occasional riding through the week, the key thing being when you get home simply keep a rag handy for the chain where your bike is stored, wipe, oil, wipe again.

If dry lube, simply wipe and re-apply after a ride, never before.

The stuff on the new chain isnt great, but washing it off and leaving degreaser or cleainng products within the pin area is also not great, just the other day my colleague cleaned his new chain, in the parts washer, and proceeded to wipe and oil it, he usually complains after around three weeks on the state of his chain.
So bear in mind how fussy you are with cleaning is quite important, or you will be leaving old contaminants, dirt, old lube or cleaning products for the new lube to mix with.

Me, I parts wash, rince with a water gun, air compress it and for MTB shake teh wet lube and apply to rollers, for road use dry lube and apply to rollers, and have none of his issues.

I also ride new chains with what is on them and have never had an issue, but I don't run my chains into the black either.

Lubricant is often a personal choice thing, like socks, I use Finish line most often, simply habit, and am a firm believer a chain should be lightly lubed and wiped often, with three chains to one cassette replaced at 0.75 wear regardless.

Cassettes don't matter. They do not come lathered in cack like a chain does.

One persons thoughts

Thanks for the links!

The std coating is a rust inhibitor. It is horrid stuff, particularly on Shimano chains. De-grease it away if you can find a degreaser that will be effective on it. Or brake cleaner/TF90.

Back