New bike - would you choose disc or rim brake ?

This is starting to sound to me like you guys don't have any idea what you're talking about. Have you ridden modern hydraulic road discs?

Around here our mtb trails are wet roots and mud, there's no traction and yet we must brake to keep the speed down.

There is way more grip on the road on a road bike than any mtb where your speed is literally limited by your ability to brake. Modulation is the name of the game in mtb and my road discs are just as good - perfect control from the hoods with 2 fingers of force.

I had r785 shifters but I hated the shape of the hoods. Upgraded to r8100 and they're perfect for my hands.

I am wary of the unrepairable clockwork complexity in all the brifters but the hydraulics have been bombproof.
I have ridden a road bike disc brake but it was atrocious at braking an emonda, the brakes were squealing and noisy. The wheels on that bike weren't as good as the mavic cosmic or the zipp 60. I can brake with two finger on my MTBs with rim brakes and same on my road rim brake bikes. For road shifters, I only use Dura Ace ST 7800 shifters with Dura Ace BR 7800 rim brakes. Like I said again, braking with a rim brake requires skil especially in the wet or in the mud.

Reactions: eri
Discs brakes & road bikes with narrow tyres really don’t mix as no control on downhills when it comes to Modulation.. it just seems more crashes are occurring in the pro peloton also as they don’t get to choose. Personally I’ll be sticking with rim brakes & keep disc brakes for off-road MTB & gravel bikes with fat tyres
The tendancy is to have large tyres in the pro peloton such as 700*28 or 700*32 and disc brakes but it didn't prevent of crashes .I use Vbrakes for my moutain bikes who have 26*2.2 tires and never had any problems.

Latest posts

Back