Need help. Tioga T-Bone with cable hanger

SteelBiker

Dirt Disciple
Hello!
I'm trying to get the brake cable through the cable hanger of a Tioga T-Bone stem with the bent tube type cable hanger. It's driving me crazy because the cable refuses to go through the small hole at the end of the bent tube.
Any helpful tips?
Thanks in advance!

Have you tried taking it through the other way first, to check if there is something blocking in there? Or try bending the tip of the cable gently so you can get it through the hole, but it will have some cable facing the right direction?

Make sure you use a new cable, bend the first inch or so slightly in the direction it needs to travel and put some grease on the end/inside the tube. It should work with patience:)

Re:

You could try fitting a bit of inner sheath from a v brake noodle through the stem first, them put the cable through that, then remove it.

Re:

I have tried everything I could think of. Checked if it's blocked, shoved the housing in first, tried with no housing, greased, bent the cable...
Think this cable hanger is just a bad design. Couldn't be that one has to fiddle with it for hours, only to get a cable through?!

Re: Re:

ishaw":2wes9qe1 said:
You could try fitting a bit of inner sheath from a v brake noodle through the stem first, them put the cable through that, then remove it.
Thought of fitting some sort of thin tubing. I'm not sure, but I think I'd have to make the hole bigger.

Re:

It's a long shot, but try inserting a cable (or off cut of cable) from the 'wrong' side then butt the end of the cable you want to fit up to this and do a single wrap of tape round them to hold them together. Then gently pull/push the cables back through the guide. You need to line the end of the cable up with the hole in the guide, so this should do the trick if you have a little patience. Once thought you should be able to retrieve the tape.

Like I said; its a long shot- but it might work?

Another possible option: put liner from bottom-top through the stem. Press brake cable through liner top-bottom.

Sounds like a bit of rust or such.

Try a fresh, uncut cable with the end still soldered tight. Bend the end into a curve, then push it in with a clockwise twist.
Also clean out with pipe cleaners, floss through with a more flexible gear cable, or try some of those little bottlebrush dental floss thingies.

All the best,

Back