Mystery Newcastle Bicycle

Cometwestie

Retro Newbie
I have a 1951 path race bicycle (dated from Williams chainwheel).
It is fitted with Bayliss Wiley BB and rear hub + Conloy rim. it's a good machine and the head badge with eagle type motif is marked BJR 78 Shields Rd West. The downtube has G Barrass written in gothic script. Any knowledge of this bicycle / maker / rider? Thanks

Re: Re:

Cometwestie":16qshsf1 said:
Hi,
thanks for the reply.
Follow the link below (or copy and paste it)and you will be able to view an album of photos. Note that the front wheel is a later item albeit with Reynolds wing nuts.
https://plus.google.com/photos/11265199 ... 4776810897

Am i right in thinking the head badge says BJR ?

Looks nice whatever it is , nice find for sure what plans ?

Sid and Tom were road racers from the golden age sure one was from Middlesborough area

Re:

I think Sid and Tom only had one s in their surname, ie Barras. But who was G Barrass or BJR?
I have maintained the bike mechanically and rebuilt the back wheel. To do the paintwork, scruffy though it is, would destroy it's history
Forgive the clippers pedals. I hate toeclips and straps. It rides nicely, quick and responsive.

Re: Re:

Cometwestie":jp569a9k said:
I think Sid and Tom only had one s in their surname, ie Barras. But who was G Barrass or BJR?
I have maintained the bike mechanically and rebuilt the back wheel. To do the paintwork, scruffy though it is, would destroy it's history
Forgive the clippers pedals. I hate toeclips and straps. It rides nicely, quick and responsive.

Fat fingers gave it the double s

It gets another vote for leaving as is from me for sure rather than repaint etc etc .
Is the address still around or has it been flattened ? if still there is it worth contacting the local council to see if they have any history

Re:

It's where Morrisons is now. I've posted it on a local history group too. Someone suggested a link between Barrass and Denton Cycles. The Fellowship of Old Timers may have information. All to be followed up.

George Barrass was the owner of a bike shop in Newcastle, based on Westgate Road, and in June 1953 he retired and handed the partnership over to Ces Jones. In Easter the following year, the business was renamed as Denton Cycles. Ces and Ron continued to run the business until Ces sold the business to Colin Davison.

I'm not too sure of the earlier history, he could have had something on Shields Road in the late 40s/early 50s. But definately by 1953, there was a George Barrass trading on Westgate Road.

Attachments

• Barrass Cycles 1953.jpg
    Barrass Cycles 1953.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 933
Re:

Thanks very much for solving the mystery. The BJR badge obviously stands for Barrass Jones Robson. The prominent partner Barrass being displayed on the downtube. A bit of detective work should revealed more about the Shields Rd premises.
The bicycle will be used on VCC runs in 2017.
Thanks to all again

Latest posts

Back